2nd lens

Justin

VIP Member
Hey guys

I want to buy a new lens for my 1000D/Rebel XS. I was thinking on getting a superzoom like the Sigma 18-200 and sell my 18-55 kit lens. Or keep the kit lens and get a UWA, or a fast 50mm, or a telephoto zoom like the EFS 55-250?

I'm eyeing this one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373747-REG/Sigma_777101_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_DC_Lens.html

Hope you can suggest other alternatives. My budget is around $300-$350.

EDIT: thinking of this as well
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-105mm-f-3.5-4.5-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
With your price range I would keep the 18-55 kit lens, and buy a 55-250. The Sigma you posted has fairly low reviews, having both those Canon lenses is a great starting point.

The 28-105 you posted is not a suitable replacement for your kit lens, I have the 28-135 that came with my kit and it is not wide enough at all.

Justin

VIP Member
I'll be keeping the kit lens if I do get the 28-105mm. The only time I'll get rid of it is when I buy a good replacement like the 17-85 or 15-85.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'll be keeping the kit lens if I do get the 28-105mm. The only time I'll get rid of it is when I buy a good replacement like the 17-85 or 15-85.

In that case I would still get the 55-250, you don't need that much overlap between lenses. Also, 105mm is not very long, you would be much better off with the 55-250.

Jet

VIP Member
I have the Sigma 18-200mm OS (IMO, you don't want anything over 135mm or so that doesn't have IS unless it's fast). Having said that--I enjoy it, as it is versatile and has fairly decent performance except at around 80mm. It also has fairly decent macro--not the 1:1 you'll get from a 100mm Macro, but still decent.

One issue is that it's more expensive now than when I bought it--I got it for $280 or so and now it's closer to $375.

Justin

VIP Member
alright 55-250 it is. should i pick up a 50mm 1.8 (once every store replenishes their stocks) while i'm at it?

OT: few weeks ago i was going to purchase the 50, i rang up around 10 stores and none had 'em nor knew when they'd resupply. i left my contact details with them and until now haven't contacted me. i rang up a few stores and til this day still don't have any in stock.

Geoff

VIP Member
Depends what you shoot really, it's always nice to have at least one fast prime for low-light scenarios where flash isn't allowed, although you are pretty limited at 50mm. It's great for outdoors, indoors however you will find that you need to be pretty far away from your subject.

Geoff

VIP Member
They are, so I guess as long as you can afford it, I would get it. Almost everyone I know that's really into photography has/had the 50 1.8 at some point.

Laquer Head

[-0MEGA-];1406879 said:
They are, so I guess as long as you can afford it, I would get it. Almost everyone I know that's really into photography has/had the 50 1.8 at some point.

I have the 50mm 1.4 and yah, seems like everyone has a 50mm...kinda a standard for a low-light, lightweight, portrait lens!

As far as the 50mm 1.8 goes, you can't find a cheaper$ piece of glass! I'd say get it!

Justin

VIP Member
right. 18-55 and 55-250 combo it is. since they're both 58mm, i'll pick up a HOYA or B+W CPL and replace my cheap Sunpak CPL.