2TB WD hard drive missing space

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by thevil1, Jun 4, 2010.

1. thevil1

thevil1 New Member

I recently bought on sale a WD elements 2TB external hard drive.
    When I plugged it in, it only shows 1.81TB. I'm used to some space loss due to formatting and autorun programs, but almost 400 GB? Is that normal?
    The box says that "total accessible capacity varies on operating environments". I'm running XP on an HP PC. Any clues?

2. PohTayToez

PohTayToez Active Member

Taken from: http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/ActualHDSizes.htm

3. joh06937

joh06937 New Member

7% doesn't show up on any drive. that is just how much you'll have.

4. S.T.A.R.S.

S.T.A.R.S. banned

I hate WD hard disk drives!!!They suck!!!I am saying this because they suddenly stop working and you need to buy a new one and why I ESPECIALLY hate them is because they are so damn sensitive when the BOOT SECTOR comes in question.The BOOT SECTOR disappears on them so easily and you need to recover it so often.:mad: I had the WD HDD in my laptop and in just 2 months,the BOOT SECTOR disappeared 3 times!3 freaking times!!!After the third time I decided to replace that stinky WD HDD with the SAMSUNG HDD and now everything seems fine :p

5. mtb211

mtb211 Active Member

haha yeah man I always wondered where some gigs were going on my drives, I just realized all computers do this