3,3 v is running around 5 v - But my computer performance is not bad.

Lasse J

Hey boys and girls,

I was in bios the other day and saw that my 3,3 v was at 5 voltage.

My computer is performing alright, but can my pc perform better when it is at 3,3 v? And can it make some problems in the long run when it is at 5 v?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I was in bios the other day and saw that my 3,3 v was at 5 voltage.

My computer is performing alright, but can my pc perform better when it is at 3,3 v? And can it make some problems in the long run when it is at 5 v?
Since that is well outside the the tolerance I would expect something to be negatively impacted. Maybe you read the 5v by mistake?

beers

Staff member
Nothing modern really uses the 3.3 rail, it may simply be unloaded. Most of your CPU and peripherals ride the +12 and +5

Lasse J

Here is a screenshot from bios. The problem is that i am soon going to build a new pc, and i want to use the same power supply in my new system.
I think i am gonna order the power supply tester.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_220305.jpg
    IMG_20200429_220305.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 6

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing modern really uses the 3.3 rail, it may simply be unloaded. Most of your CPU and peripherals ride the +12 and +5
M.2 runs on 3.3v does it not? And by proxy, any PCIe connected component may I would assume? Though PCIe stuff can also draw 12v.

There are 4 3.3v lines going into the motherboard on the main power connector. I suppose they could be unconnected internally, but it seems odd that no one would want to update the spec to remove them if it was unused. You're right, most big stuff will be 5v or 12v though

beers

Staff member
What power supply is it?
but it seems odd that no one would want to update the spec to remove them if it was unused.
I think most of those were a bleedover from the AT spec where the CPU used to be driven off of the 3.3v rail, you used to see vendors dump huge amounts of amperage onto that, and coincidentally most bottom-bin cheap arse power supplies that indicate 500w of capacity but have 250w allocated to 3.3/5v :p