3 choices for college laptop please help.

jessetjames

alright so my budget is 1300 and im looking for a portable laptop for college. Im probably not going to do any gaming and wont be doing photo shop ect. Ill mainly use it for writing pappers watching movies. web browsing ect. the three laptops im considering are

sony sb series it is the heaviest and bigest of the 3 but its still fairly lightweight it also has the best specs for the money.

asus ep121 slate. light weight would be awesome for note taking. the 2nd fastest and possably the cheapest. it would also be fun to mess with because it is a slate.. I love the look of its features would be a great college laptop i think.

samsung series 9 11.6". the lightest not the greatest specs but also dont really need good specs since ill only be using it for streaming movies web usage writing papers ect but would be awesome for caring around all day. has a back lit keyboard like the sony. It is incredibly sexy. has 3 usb port 1 being 3.0..it would be another great choice.

I'm just not sure witch one i should get and any advice/help would be nice

Thanks

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
What's your budget for this laptop? I'm in college right now and my only recommendation is to buy a well built laptop. I've seen countless laptops dent (especially macbook pros) and many more broken hinges. There's a surprising level of wear and tear that college laptops go through.

On that note I'll suggest the Lenovo Thinkpad X120e. It's not the most powerful laptop, running an AMD Fusion E350 CPU, but it's small (11.6"), has good battery life (6+ hours), and has better build quality than most other notebooks. It'll cost you about $500 if you order it online.

jessetjames

about 1300....hmmm that being said about the wear and tear i might not whant to go with the slate...and maybe instead go with the samsuns series 9 witch is really well constructed. made with the same stuff air plain wings are made of.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I would go with the samsung for the fact that there quality is outstanding, If not Samsung then I also recommend a thinkpad. Stay away from idea pads.

linkin

VIP Member
Size, Battery Life or Horsepower.

Choose any two. :p

But yeah what's your preference? Something small with good battery life that isn't required for heavy tasks, just word processing and internet? Or a portable powerhouse with little battery life?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd recommend either a thinkpad or a Latitude myself. The X series thinkpads are small and lightweight, and so are the latitude E4500 series.

Alfreado

Cant help with your actual choice but I can say I have had a Samsung R540 for the past few months and its one of the nicest laptops i've ever had. i3 processer, 4gig ram and 500gb hdd. I do some small photoshop dreamweaver and indesign projects as well as the usual web browsing, movies, music etc.