3 year old PSU - replace or not? building new system

otaku

so yeah, i will be building a new system (SEE BELOW) this weekend
i was wondering if i should replace my PSU or not. im a bit paranoid as this psu is 3 years old
.. it gave me no trouble at all running my P5KC + Q6600 + 275GTX
and if you say yes ... could you please list me a good reliable one?

Thanks in advance

i5 3570k @ stock 3.4 with Hyper 212 evo
GA-Z77X-UD3H
Intel 520 240G SSD
Galaxy MDT GTX 580
Antec Truepower Trio 650W
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

claptonman

If you're worried, buy a PSU tester and test it every now and then.

But I'd say its good for another 2 years.

otaku

If you're worried, buy a PSU tester and test it every now and then.

But I'd say its good for another 2 years.

well .. i just wanna protect my new investment thats why i ask and getting a psu tester is too complicated for newbie like me

but again ... I will NOT SLI
OC probably max
i only use it for surfing web, watching movies and Battlefield game
of 4.4 with that air cooler
Will use only 1 SSD 240G

otaku

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008T9879

I'm sure you can figure it out. Plug the PSU cables in there and read the directions of what to do.

I'd say you're safe if you haven't experienced any issues (Graphic drivers failing, bluescreens unexplained) then you'll be fine.

correction: I had that Antec Truepower Trio 650W since july 2008.. so its got 4+ years

and no .. never had issue with it . no bluescreen nor pc shutdown

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not really for sure. Its a good power supply, made by Seasonic and its a quality power supply. The only problem with it is its a tri/3 rail power supply, kinda weird and have no idea why they did that. Would have been better if it was a dual/2 rail. Each rail has a 19 amp limit, which means that any (one) rail can pull up to 228 watts. A GTX 580 under full load can pull up to 280 watts. Which that is a problem no matter what rail the GPU runs on. It could be that each PCIe power connector runs off a different rail, if thats the case you will be fine. If both PCIe power connectors runs on the same rail it could cause a problem.

otaku

Not really for sure. Its a good power supply, made by Seasonic and its a quality power supply. The only problem with it is its a tri/3 rail power supply, kinda weird and have no idea why they did that. Would have been better if it was a dual/2 rail. Each rail has a 19 amp limit, which means that any (one) rail can pull up to 228 watts. A GTX 580 under full load can pull up to 280 watts. Which that is a problem no matter what rail the GPU runs on. It could be that each PCIe power connector runs off a different rail, if thats the case you will be fine. If both PCIe power connectors runs on the same rail it could cause a problem.

so, what do you suggest?

Im not gonna OC my GPU, just CPU max of 4.4

Quick question here: What will happen IF my PSU fails on me?
will it burn my gpu, cpu, mobo? or it will just shut down my pc and nothing will be destroy other than PSU itself? ... Im also using a nice Belkin surge protector for my system

Alrite, I (think) made up my mind, and came down to these 2 PSU, both got great review
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=583...acture=Corsair @ $114.99 CAD

or

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=039393 @ 140.99 (does this one have atx? what is it anyways?

again, i dont mind paying for quality items, as long as its worth it and i will have the use for it.

what do you guys suggest? unless you suggest a better PSU around 75-150 dollars

StrangleHold

Staff member
Neither link works for me. As far as your power supply going out. 98% of the time nothing will happen, the power supply will just die or overheat and die. Its the 2% of the time when takes hardware out with it thats the killer.