$300 for a new phone, so looking at the nexus 4 :)

lemon07r

Nexus 4 seems to be the best phone at $300, or is there something I missed? :p I buy in a week, my old phone is awful :( lol. A flip phone I got for free haha, i had a blackberry before that but sold it so I wouldn't get distracted during school :p. Never liked blackberry much anyways.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The Nexus 4 is definitely good - no 4G speed though, but HSPA is definitely still decently fast to load things such as Facebook and web pages with speed.

I bought my nexus 4 about 2 weeks ago. I really like it so far.

When comparing it with friends phones it wasn't as powerful as some of the new models coming out, but I didnt need that. I use mine for the internet and a few apps. Nothing very demanding.

So far I would recommend it highly. I enjoy having vanilla android direct from google. Seems more streamlined. The battery is lasting me about 2 days. I left samsung phones for the nexus and am not looking back. Get the phone.

lemon07r

I live in canada, using bell atm, so I get lte if I go nexus 4 :p, we only ahve aws lte here, not as good as the states but atleast the nexus 4 supports it (even if not officially). Plus the plan im thinking of switching to is unlimited data, text, talk on 3g so lte doesnt really matter to me. And whichever phone I get will be rooting and putting on custom rom :).

I don't mind that the phone only supports 3g. It is plenty fast enough. My old phone was very unreliable when it came it 4g, let alone internet in general. The nexus is fast enough for mobile internet.

lemon07r

My dad has the razr hd lte with 2gb lte, which is always either hspa+ (which is supported by the nexus 4) or lte (depending where I am), to be honest there is almost no difference between the two, ive played games online, watched movies online downloaded large games from the app store using both lte and hspa+, you actual data quality depends more on your carrier. After seeing lte for myself I decided I could careless for it. hspa+ is mroe then enough.

speedyink

VIP Member
I have loved my Galaxy Nexus since the day I bought it. I'm sure the Nexus 4 is just as nice, although I do prefer the SAMOLED to LCD.

PCunicorn

NOKIA N9 FTW! It is awesome but i am just kidding. It's an older phone that only has a niche market; the kind of people who like to run linux on their phones. The Nexus 4 is probobly the best phone right now for the price, but with the lack of 4G.

I should add that I bought the 16gb version. While for $50 extra I received double the storage, I question how much I will use in the first place. It of course has the play store, so any music I have is through the app. Any other files can be uploaded to my google drive. In the end I could have saved $50 and had everything in the cloud for free.

lemon07r

Yeah im debating whether or not I should go with the 16gb version, I have like 12 gb music (I'll maybe put only 6 gb of it on my phone) and want to use it to watch movies and such and a couple heavy 3d games (around 3 installed at a time) and will have a few small games installed. Will also be running a custom rom.

Darren

Staff member
Galaxy Note 2 if you want a big phone or maybe wait for the Galaxy S4?

I don't know much about the Nexus so can't comment on that.

Yeah im debating whether or not I should go with the 16gb version, I have like 12 gb music (I'll maybe put only 6 gb of it on my phone) and want to use it to watch movies and such and a couple heavy 3d games (around 3 installed at a time) and will have a few small games installed. Will also be running a custom rom.

It sounds like the 16gb version would be a better option. Your music would fill the 8gb after factoring in the rom and such.

Origin Saint

Personally, for the money I would go for a Motorola Razr Maxx HD if you had the chance, I have the normal Razr Maxx and I love it to death, otherwise I'd probably go with a HTC One, Nexus 4, or Samsung Galaxy 3 or 4 when it's available.

lemon07r

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...html?selectedTab=tab-2&cgid=mobile-phones#tab
Its $600 and is running a dual core s4 snapdragon. Good battery but not really good for me I think. My dads phone has almost the exact same phones spec (only battery is different) and looks almost the exact same lol. I'll be honest here I wasnt impressed with the hd lte xD. What i did like was battery, camera, its lte speed and that motorola app (forgot what but it was really cool because you can set it do stuff when something specific happens, like turn wifi off after hitting 20% battery). Ive used the nexus 4 before, I thought it was really sweet :p. I guess im going with that, hopefully I order next week.

Origin Saint

Are you looking for it through a carrier? If so, Verizon prices it exactly at $200, but yeah, without a carrier it's $600. The Nexus 4 doesn't look too bad either though. Have fun with it.

speedyink

VIP Member
I knew he was talking off term because the Nexus 4 he mentioned is $300...off term =P

I can't stress enough to spring for the 16gb if you plan on using any of it for movies or music. If you ONLY plan to install apps and games, a couple of which are heavy 3d ones, then yes, 8gb should be enough. Remember, heavy 3d games can get up to around 1.5gb each.

Last edited: