$300 for a new phone, so looking at the nexus 4 :)

Geoff

VIP Member
I live in canada, using bell atm, so I get lte if I go nexus 4 :p, we only ahve aws lte here, not as good as the states but atleast the nexus 4 supports it (even if not officially). Plus the plan im thinking of switching to is unlimited data, text, talk on 3g so lte doesnt really matter to me. And whichever phone I get will be rooting and putting on custom rom :).
Just an FYI, a few months ago Google pushed an update that removed that LTE functionality, if you want to use LTE you have to use an older radio.

lemon07r

When I say 3 years I mean before I upgrade lol, of course without contract. And aw that sucks but oh well i still dont care about LTE xD, im pretty sure there should be a custom rom to add it back in anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
When I say 3 years I mean before I upgrade lol, of course without contract. And aw that sucks but oh well i still dont care about LTE xD, im pretty sure there should be a custom rom to add it back in anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.
ROM's are different from the radios, but if you are going to install a custom ROM then flashing an older radio shouldn't be a problem for you.

lemon07r

ROM's are different from the radios, but if you are going to install a custom ROM then flashing an older radio shouldn't be a problem for you.
I know roms are different from the radios but when you said google pushed an update to remove lte I assumed you meant it was a software update not hardware update. Could you please clarify that? And do you mean they removed aws lte? because thats the lte used in canada by bell and rogers I believe.

speedyink

VIP Member
I know roms are different from the radios but when you said google pushed an update to remove lte I assumed you meant it was a software update not hardware update. Could you please clarify that? And do you mean they removed aws lte? because thats the lte used in canada by bell and rogers I believe.

Radios are bundled into roms, but if you want a different radio than what's in your current rom you can flash just the radio if you can find a flashable zip of it.

BTW there's the physical radio in the phone, and the radio libs which allow that radio to talk to Android. The latter is the radio we're is talking about

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The updates from Google and other manufactures can include the ROM and radio, which is what Google did with the N4. Custom ROM's are just ROM's, although you can also install older radios.