3000 dollar pc for computer club

I know that the i7 is my "BA" but im saying you save 800 dollars on the processor and can spend that somewhere else and have just as fast

If it is for a server why not go for a Xeon instead? Already a better processor for that type of job.

yeah, since you said server, you could have waited for gainestown boards to come out, and snagged a pair of 1366 xeons to go with it, then gotten an sas controller, and put 6 36gb seagate savvio's in raid zero(15k rpm) and put in around 48/96 gb's of ram in it :p
edit: also, since its for a server, it probably wouldn't be all that great of an idea to overclock the thing either, highest you'll hit on air(for benching) is around 4.5ghz for the i7 965. also another nitpick, you could have waited for the i7 975 D0 to come out

Last edited:
just so you know, micro center has the i7 920 on sale for 199.99, you can get a 3gb kit of ram off newegg for $70, and every now and then the intel i7 board shows up for $53 open box, so i think that kind of defeats your amd setup =\

yeah, since you said server, you could have waited for gainestown boards to come out, and snagged a pair of 1366 xeons to go with it, then gotten an sas controller, and put 6 36gb seagate savvio's in raid zero(15k rpm) and put in around 48/96 gb's of ram in it :p
edit: also, since its for a server, it probably wouldn't be all that great of an idea to overclock the thing either, highest you'll hit on air(for benching) is around 4.5ghz for the i7 965. also another nitpick, you could have waited for the i7 975 D0 to come out

i couldnt wait any longer. did i not say its for school?

Back