32 Bit or 64 Bit

DMGrier

VIP Member
So a friend of the wife ask if I could reinstall Windows for her, the issue is they had their grand kids this last weekend and her grandson changed the password and cannot remember the password. So I told her sure however the thing I am unsure of with as I have only dealt with 64 bit Windows is the products key says "Windows 7 Home Premium OA", is this a 32 Bit edition? The 64 Bit products keys say 64 Bit and I wouldn't see why it just doesn't say 32 Bit verse "OA". Thanks for any input.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Actually it does matter as she wants a fresh install and I want to assume 32 Bit but not install the incorrect one and then have to go back and reinstall the other version. The Product key is only good for either 32 Bit or 64 Bit not both.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
As Gary said, it doesn't matter. The keys work with either version.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The easiest way to tell if you can't get inside windows is to slave the drive to another system and access it. If there is a program files (x86) folder then its running 64bit if not then its 32bit. If its an OEM computer then most likely its a 64bit install. Very seldom did they do the 32bit.

But its very easy to get past the windows password.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Alright I appreciate it, the "AO" through me off as all my notebooks just say 64 Bit. It looks like a cheap compaq so just going to throw 32 bit on there as I believe those only shipped with 2 GB of memory and I just noticed Celeron CPU.

Troncoso

VIP Member
The easiest way to tell if you can't get inside windows is to slave the drive to another system and access it. If there is a program files (x86) folder then its running 64bit if not then its 32bit. If its an OEM computer then most likely its a 64bit install. Very seldom did they do the 32bit.

But its very easy to get past the windows password.

It'd be easier even still to just use a live Linux disk.

DMGrier

VIP Member
True for this guy, Thanks for everyone input. 1.5 GHz single core celeron with 2 GB of RAM I went for installing 32 Bit.