32 bit software on 64 bit os?

ABenz99

Would it be faster to run a 32 bit software on a 64 bit os? Or should I get the 64 bit version of the software?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If there's a 64-bit version, there's no sense in running the 32-bit. The 64-bit can utilize the full system resources.

Booyaka

well if you pc supports 64 bit i recommend it for you because it is faster and good
programs of 64bit dont work under 32bit, but programs of 32bit usually work under 64bit.
and 64bit has a better performance.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If there's a 64-bit version, there's no sense in running the 32-bit. The 64-bit can utilize the full system resources.

Sometimes there is. A 32-bit version will use less memory on account of being 32-bit. If you don't need to address big memory, a 32-bit is fine.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Man..........a difference in maximum RAM memory amount on 32-bit OS and on 64-bit OS is HUGE lol!I always hated that lol.
Too bad 32-bit OS cannot have more than 4 GB.
I mean...just a number difference between 4 and 192 is BIG lol.
And by looking at those numbers...somebody might start to think that 32-bit OS sucks lol.

linkin

VIP Member
Not everything has to be 64 bit. Infact it would take up more space than is necessary. You only need 64 bit programs if it will use 2GB RAM or greater, including video memory. So for applications like office it's not necessary as 32 bit uses less space, resources, and won't really ever use 2GB of RAM

Okedokey

RAM is cheap, get a 64bit OS. These days there is almost no reason not too. (cant think of any).

Turbo10

Man..........a difference in maximum RAM memory amount on 32-bit OS and on 64-bit OS is HUGE lol!I always hated that lol.
Too bad 32-bit OS cannot have more than 4 GB.
I mean...just a number difference between 4 and 192 is BIG lol.
And by looking at those numbers...somebody might start to think that 32-bit OS sucks lol.

Technically 32 bit RAM limit is about 3.5 gig :p

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I agree.
32-bit OS maybe does not show EXACTLY 4.00 GB of RAM memory when looking at system properties,but it DOES support it and it DOES use it when neccessary.