32bit diagonistics?

Moronicus

I was told by the Dell Tech Support rep to run a 32bit Diagnostic test on my computer. How long does this normally take? OH, he said to run the extended version off my Dell resources CD. Well it has run for over 15hrs and it's still not done. Is this normal?

cell4me

banned
Moronicus said:
Well it has run for over 15hrs and it's still not done. Is this normal?
NO!

Dont listen to tech support 99.9% of them are just reading you trouble shooting tips from a script and dont know anything about computers except how to click the next button! What exactly is your problem? Is it the norton thing? Do you realy want norton installed? Does everything work on your computer except norton? If everything works except norton then why would you think it's a computer problem? They mass burn their software just like everyone else so it could be something like a file missing on the norton disk! I have bought new software that did not work before and I am sure everyone else has too! If it's a brand new system and you dont have any pictures or documents that you need do a fresh window install, get your dsl up and running, download a free antivirus to get ya bye for now and contact symantec and tell them their software dont work they might have you download it or mail you another disk, I would bet the farm it's the software not your computer!

Moronicus

They (Dell Tech Support) think I have a hardware problem because of the error code that appears. They told me that it might be a memory problem. I agree that most of them are reading from a script. I even had one guy telling me that he was looking at a forum! I thought that those guys would know there product.There the one's who asked me to do the diagnostic test. I appreciate your help! Thanks!

Moronicus

The error I was getting was an 0x7e stop error. That's all it said. But I just want to Thank You very nuch for your help and suggestions. But the mystery has finally been solved. They came out yesterday and installed 2 new hard drives. ( I never thought it was hardware issue) Then I went and configured my RAID and formatted the drives. Then installed some of my software (didn't want to spend the time loading it all back in when I knew it was going to crash again). When we got to the Norton, I told the Dell Tech rep. that here's where the problems are going got start. Lo and behold after I updated the Norton and restarted the comp. BLUE SCREEN of DEATH!! LOL LOL Same error code as from the beginning of my nightmare. But apparently this Tech guy (JOEY) knew what was causing it. We went and re-booted in safe mode and he told to go to add/remove programs and look for a certain SBC Visual IP file. Removed that and restarted the comp. NO MORE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!! LOL LOL But I couldn't log on to the net. After a few tests it was determined that the SBC browser I had was the problem. Went on-line and down loaded a new browser and problem solved!! YEAH!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was told by the Dell Tech Support rep to run a 32bit Diagnostic test on my computer.
Ok now what was the original problem to start with? (ie. why did you call them) .. if its the memory stop error you're getting ... Run Memtest86 ... does your system pass?

Moronicus

To all:
Thanks to all that have responded with solutions and or advice. It was greatly appreciated. I am definitley not near as knowledgeable about comuters as most of you on here and it is definitley nice to know that there are people out that that down look down on you for that and are more than willing to help! Thanks again and I hope to have similar results the next time I blow up my system!!!! LOL LOL