36GB VS 74GB Raptor

ANNR

I am looking for a Hard drive for installing the OS only.

Are there any difference between the Two Raptor that I mentioned beside their size?

Read and Seek time are the same for the two drive so is there going to be any difference when it comes to OS startup time?

Nothing beside the OS and software that keep the OS safe. so anti what ever.

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
74gig has a faster access time, so its over all performance will be better. It may have more cache too, I would double check that.

lovely?

if the 32 is cheaper then i'd get it, since 32 gb is definetely enough for just an operating system and at most a few hundred megs of software...

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
the 32 is slower than the 74, which is slower than the 150 (or something like that). There's really no point in getting the old raptors anymore, as modern day hard drives are almost just as fast (if not faster) than them.

bluedishwasher

i would seconed the above, it really isn't worth it. if you want a super fast boot time, have a look into some solid state drives, although they are a little pricey

tlarkin

VIP Member
the 32 is slower than the 74, which is slower than the 150 (or something like that). There's really no point in getting the old raptors anymore, as modern day hard drives are almost just as fast (if not faster) than them.

Minus the 5 year warranty raptors come with and the 10,000 RPM platters. It is still faster than your standard SATA HD.

The larger ones (newer) have faster seek and access times, and more cache which makes up the difference.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Newegg shows all the raptors with same 16mb cache, same seek, read time and latency for all the raptors that they carry.

Is that a mistake on neweggs part?

if not then all of then should perform the same beside the GB difference right?

That is probably a mistake since the 36 gig is the first generation raptor and the
74gig is the 2nd gen raptor.

Here goes the first google hit comparing the benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2073&p=4

Here goes a comparison of the 74 vs the Raptor X

http://techreport.com/articles.x/9364

Last edited: