3D Gaming monitor

Zatharus

VIP Member
Have a look over here. nVidia card have been able to support this for a while. You just needed a compatible display (like the one talked about here or an old CRT) and some shutter glasses. There are companies out there that make polarized displays as well (Very Expensive) that only need passive polarized glasses to see the effect with. Or you can go with dual display glasses for even more!:)

Zatharus

VIP Member
I would go with the 23" 1080p over the two 19" displays. I noticed that the latter only had VGA inputs.

What do you have in mind to spend? If you can, go for the Samsung 3D gaming monitor. :)

DarkTears

banned
I would go with the 23" 1080p over the two 19" displays. I noticed that the latter only had VGA inputs.

What do you have in mind to spend? If you can, go for the Samsung 3D gaming monitor. :)

well thankfully I have never been financially in trouble. (trustfund ftw i guess) So I have the money, which is why i'm considering it.

but I don't want to just blow money because I have it.
Not sure if its worth it.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Do you want to experiment with Stereoscopic 3D? If so, the 120Hz Samsung display (or others like it) are a good start - unless you have an old CRT display around. The glasses kits are pretty inexpensive.

DarkTears

banned
Do you want to experiment with Stereoscopic 3D? If so, the 120Hz Samsung display (or others like it) are a good start - unless you have an old CRT display around. The glasses kits are pretty inexpensive.

experiment lol? no, more like test. experiments are costly hehe.

Zatharus

VIP Member
experiment lol? no, more like test. experiments are costly hehe.

Testing can be equally as costly. ;)

I'm not sure of any company that would allow you to test drive a monitor/glasses system at your own place. I have yet to see something like this set up in a brick an mortar either.

DarkTears

banned
Testing can be equally as costly. ;)

I'm not sure of any company that would allow you to test drive a monitor/glasses system at your own place. I have yet to see something like this set up in a brick an mortar either.

I think im just going to forget the 3d monitor and go with the 23 inch HD widescreen one. In the future there will probably be 3d screens for 100 dollars lol.

Zatharus

VIP Member
I think im just going to forget the 3d monitor and go with the 23 inch HD widescreen one. In the future there will probably be 3d screens for 100 dollars lol.

:D Enjoy!

Let us know what you think of it. I have been eying that one for a while as well.

For stereoscopic 3D (with shutter glasses) you only need a 100-120Hz display refresh. A CRT with 120Hz refresh will also work well. I toyed with this ten years ago...with the original Half-Life I think. The glasses have gotten better since then (and so have the displays).

Standard LCD displays refresh at 60Hz. That is what makes the 120Hz Samsung special.

DarkTears

banned
:D Enjoy!

Let us know what you think of it. I have been eying that one for a while as well.

For stereoscopic 3D (with shutter glasses) you only need a 100-120Hz display refresh. A CRT with 120Hz refresh will also work well. I toyed with this ten years ago...with the original Half-Life I think. The glasses have gotten better since then (and so have the displays).

Standard LCD displays refresh at 60Hz. That is what makes the 120Hz Samsung special.

wait wtf, this technology was around 10 years ago?

Now that I know what monitor Im going to get I have a few questions about the 23 inch one. Will I be able to hook up my cable to it? I found my hdmi cable for my xbox 360 so I cant wait to play gears of war 2 in 1080P. Im playing it in 720P right now, although i doubt there will be much of a difference.

But what i really want to know is if I will be able to watch my cable TV on it with my cable box, not with a computer tv tuner.

Edit: Also, the only way to make use of the HD is to use HDMI?

Last edited:

Zatharus

VIP Member
wait wtf, this technology was around 10 years ago?

Yes, and longer. nVidia and others had support for this for quite some time. You used to be able to sync your glasses off the green/sync signal on the VGA cable. Then manufacturers started putting in little sync ports on the backs of the video cards.

Now that I know what monitor Im going to get I have a few questions about the 23 inch one. Will I be able to hook up my cable to it? I found my hdmi cable for my xbox 360 so I cant wait to play gears of war 2 in 1080P. Im playing it in 720P right now, although i doubt there will be much of a difference.

But what i really want to know is if I will be able to watch my cable TV on it with my cable box, not with a computer tv tuner.
First of all, the 23" Acer is HDCP compatible, so you should have no issues with HD content via the XBox or your cable box or a Blu-Ray player over the HDMI port.

Second, most games out now do not even support full 1080p resolutions. Most of them are at 720p (or less). Moving up to a 1080p monitor will allow you to enjoy that resolution on your PC games and on the XBox games that support it. Otherwise, yes, you won't notice a difference.

Edit: Also, the only way to make use of the HD is to use HDMI?
For media that requires HDCP, yes, only the HDIM (and perhaps the DVI) input will work for you. DVI is the pre-cursor to HDMI and will also display a digital "HD" signal. For that matter so will the VGA port, though it is an analog connection. Component RGB (also analog) for "high-definition" displays was out before either DVI or HDMI.