3g iphone

robina_80

im looking at getting a new phone but i cant decide between 2 phones the new lg renoir or the iphone i was looking at the specs and the only major difference is the lg has an 8mg camera and the iphone just 2meg also atm my phone which is the lg viewity no offence but the battery life is crap it lasts 2 days and i was wondering wether the iphone lasts longer or the renoir

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I've had alot of PDA style phones. I like the Iphone the best, its the most responsive. I like the app store, also it'd be worth it to jailbreak it. There isn't much you can do with the LG, outside of what comes loaded on the phone when you buy it.

But, if you take alot of pictures, then the iphone isn't the best. The camera just sucks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have an iPhone (1st gen) and I jail broke it and with the open source jail broken apps I get it is totally worth it.

However, sadly, still no copy/paste with the iphone, I know, wtf is Apple thinking?

PunterCam

Plenty of phones are technically better than the iphone, plenty have higher specs for less money, but the iphone is the only one that actually works. I quite like the look of the new nokia and blackberry though...

robina_80

the reason why i want to get the iphone is because its like a pocket windows or mac osx, so you can mess about with the settings etc etc but the lg is just a phone ie call, text store mp3s and take pictures

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have a blackberry curve (for work) and an iPhone and the iPhone is by far the more innovative product. It is easier to use and the interface and multi touch screen is just superb. I mean web browsing on my blackberry is like putting hot pokers through my eyes and dumping acid on my flesh over web browsing with the multi touch screen.

That alone puts the iPhone in a whole new category. The iPhone is also limited by it's software not it's hardware. It has some pretty beefy hardware in it. Once they update the software and firmware to add in all the functions it will be the best hand held out there.

Of course I jail broke mine to run on a third party carrier and have open source apps running on it. I installed the terminal and the iPhone is in fact running Unix. I was already poking through what launch daemons were installed on it. It is pretty damn sweet to have a phone that runs Unix.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I use the iphone mainly for web browsing on the go. I had two Palm Treos (650/680), then the popular windows mobile ATT Tilt. And both were a PITA to brows the web, i still play with my tilt. And thats downloading updated Opera mobile browsers to try, and they still suck.

However, you can tether with the iphone with the jailbreak app. But tethering with my ATT Tilt on the go was like high speed cable internet. However, I'm in love with the iphone for its "just works" factor.

Geoff

VIP Member
Probably not the best way to ask, but since everyone here seems to have an iPhone I might as well ask.

I already have an ATT phone plan, if I buy an unlocked iPhone on eBay and switch out the SIM card, would it work? I noticed that on the ATT website you need a $60 data plan for the iPhone, however I only have the $39.99 nationwide plan w/200 texts.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Its confusing, I'm not sure. Theres some threads at mac rumors about it, because i know you have to go through itune to activate it, and somehow you can't swap any sim into it. You have to use a new sim for it to work. Its lame, thats the only thing i hate about it, is that i can't swap my sim into my other phone to use at work.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The iPhone is a GSM phone, so any GSM sim card will work on it. Mine is jail broke and hacked to work with T-mobile, since with T-Mobile I can get 700 minutes + 500 text + nights and weekends free + unlimited data for about $68 +tax each month. AT&T would be nearly double that.

It isn't hard and it works. Of course it is slightly glitchy so make sure you back up important data and contacts on a normal basis.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have a SIM card in my Blackjack that I'm using now, but again it's only a voice plan. Does T-Mobile use SIM cards also, or do you not need that if it's Jailbroken? And the last question is how do you "activate" your iPhone with T-Mobile?

footballstevo75

[-0MEGA-];1107758 said:
Probably not the best way to ask, but since everyone here seems to have an iPhone I might as well ask.

I already have an ATT phone plan, if I buy an unlocked iPhone on eBay and switch out the SIM card, would it work? I noticed that on the ATT website you need a $60 data plan for the iPhone, however I only have the $39.99 nationwide plan w/200 texts.

Your data plan should work fine. I have a Blackjack 2. I used to have some crappy flip phone before it fell into the gulf of mexico. I switched phones after I bought the BJ2 off ebay. Switched to unlimited data plan before I got the BJ2 and they let me keep it.

holdenssx

[-0MEGA-];1107828 said:
I have a SIM card in my Blackjack that I'm using now, but again it's only a voice plan. Does T-Mobile use SIM cards also, or do you not need that if it's Jailbroken? And the last question is how do you "activate" your iPhone with T-Mobile?

As long as you buy an unlocked iPhone, you should be able to use your current T-Mobile sim. You'd have to add some sort of data pack if you want to use the internet. You shouldn't have to activate anything with T-Mobile, just pop the sim in a go (assuming the phone is unlocked).

If you have any other questions I could ask my brother, hes more familiar with the unlocking process.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1107828 said:

There are two major standards of cell phone technology, GSM which uses SIM cards and CDMA which uses crappy built in technology. iPhones are GSM, so they are built off of GSM standards. If you jail break it and run boot neuter you can unlock it, then you can use any GSM carrier. You may have to go into the phone and set up carrier specific network settings that would normally come preset in a carrier specific phone.

The only time you activate it, is with AT&T and that is how they lock you into the iPhone only rates. If you had the same plan on a blackberry curve with ATT it would be cheaper than the iPhone plan.

It isn't hard, in fact it is probably one of the easiest things I have hacked.

robina_80

ive got a questions

1, i read here someone posted that the iphone uses slighty different size sim card so will any sim card work on it?

2, if you decide to unlock using a different network, you then wont get unlimited internet as 02 gives you unlimited internet usage

Geoff

VIP Member
Your data plan should work fine. I have a Blackjack 2. I used to have some crappy flip phone before it fell into the gulf of mexico. I switched phones after I bought the BJ2 off ebay. Switched to unlimited data plan before I got the BJ2 and they let me keep it.
I don't have a data plan, just a voice plan.

As long as you buy an unlocked iPhone, you should be able to use your current T-Mobile sim. You'd have to add some sort of data pack if you want to use the internet. You shouldn't have to activate anything with T-Mobile, just pop the sim in a go (assuming the phone is unlocked).

If you have any other questions I could ask my brother, hes more familiar with the unlocking process.
I have ATT still, but wondering about going with T-Mobile.

tlarkin

VIP Member
ive got a questions

1, i read here someone posted that the iphone uses slighty different size sim card so will any sim card work on it?

2, if you decide to unlock using a different network, you then wont get unlimited internet as 02 gives you unlimited internet usage

I am not sure how it is over the pond mate, but over here in the good ol USA one size fits all when it comes to SIM cards and unlimited data plans are unlimited data plans. The carrier can't figure out if you are using an iPhone or a blackberry. All it knows if that you have an activated SIM card with an account number that says, you get unlimited data.

Been using mine for a couple weeks now no problems except for me having to manually set up some server side settings on my phone for tmobile.

speedyink

VIP Member
im looking at getting a new phone but i cant decide between 2 phones the new lg renoir or the iphone i was looking at the specs and the only major difference is the lg has an 8mg camera and the iphone just 2meg also atm my phone which is the lg viewity no offence but the battery life is crap it lasts 2 days and i was wondering wether the iphone lasts longer or the renoir

I know how you feel, my new LG phone (cheap POS, but still..) the battery dies soo much faster than my trusty old Sony Ericssons. I'm sure if I used it as much as I used to use my Sony it wouldn't last a day.

To answer your questions:

If you like taking pictures, LG Renoir is definately the way to go. 8 MP over 2 MP, auto focus (meaning close up macro photography), flash...theres no comparison. And trust me, if you like taking pictures, having a decent camera in your phone is very handy.

Battery Life should be very similar on the two, but don't expect more than 2 days on either of them. If you want more battery life you'll have to get a phone with less features (Sony Ericsson k850i is a good example :D I get around 4 or 5 days of battery on mine)

The Sim card is the same, don't worry about it.

My take on it, the iPhone has a great intuitive interface, and a great responsive touchscreen. It's got it's quirks, but for general usability, it can't be beat. I haven't seen the newer touch screen phones though, so I can't say whether they work as good, though I can almost garauntee that they won't be as intuitive as the iphone. An exception would be Sony Ericsson phones, I'm quite confident Sony could pull off something almost as intuitive. All the Sony phones I've used(W200i, W300i, W580i, W810i, K850i) have been awsome to use. The menu's are flashy, yet well thought out and customizable. Plus the built in features always work awesome. I'd check out the Sony Xperia X1, it looks pretty promising.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I currently have a blackberry curve and an iPhone. The blackberry is for work and I only use it for work, and I like the email/calendar system on it a bit better but other than that, it sucks compared to my iphone.