3G or 4G pocket/mobile router?

kenny1999

I am thinking about either going for a 3G or 4G pocket router. 4G is nice but here 4G router is more than double the price of a 3G router.

In fact, my SIM card provider is offering 4G but I don't really need too fast speed. I'd like to know when my SIM card is offering 4G and I run it with a 3G device, would it reach the maximum speed of the 3G ? What is the maximum speed of 3G theoretically and practically?

Another question: Does pocket router itself has GPS ? I have heard about GPS mouse which surprises me, how could a mouse be GPS?

Additional questions: What is to pay attention to when buying a 3G or 4G router? I've been looking at some forums and they are saying that firmware /driver of the router could matter so much. I am so confused about that because I know nothing about that. Any help?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
3g is slow and laggy, but it's everywhere. Modern hotspots will have two radios for LTE and a 3G backup.

From a router perspective they're all pretty synonymous. The main thing you'll be choosing is carrier.

kenny1999

3g is slow and laggy, but it's everywhere. Modern hotspots will have two radios for LTE and a 3G backup.

From a router perspective they're all pretty synonymous. The main thing you'll be choosing is carrier.

Sorry I do not understand.

From a router perspective they're all pretty the same? Did you mean a mobile router that claims to be 3G or 4G or LTE is actually the same thing? Do you mean that if I've got a 4G or LTE carrier I will be able to run it with full speed on a 3G only mobile router?

Geoff

VIP Member
I am thinking about either going for a 3G or 4G pocket router. 4G is nice but here 4G router is more than double the price of a 3G router.
If you are buying new, they are all LTE these days. The only way to get a 3G only mobile hotspot is if you buy an ancient device, which is not ideal as in addition to not supporting the latest cellular technologies, they have ancient 802.11b/g WiFi, more limited routing options, etc.
In fact, my SIM card provider is offering 4G but I don't really need too fast speed.
LTE has many advantages over 3G, besides the obvious much faster speeds (which I don't know why you wouldn't want), such as significantly lower latency, and many cellular providers have been deploying LTE-only for the past 2 years, meaning you may get significantly better cellular signal over LTE compared to 3G.
I'd like to know when my SIM card is offering 4G and I run it with a 3G device, would it reach the maximum speed of the 3G ?
Yes, the speed you obtain on 3G isn't any different with a 4G SIM vs 3G SIM.
What is the maximum speed of 3G theoretically and practically?
Anywhere from ~1Mbps to low double digits. It depends on the carrier you are using. For instance Verizon/Sprint have a maximum speed of 2-3Mbps on 3G, while AT&T and T-Mobile can get around 10-15Mbps, since they all use different 3G technology. Keep in mind that in the U.S., all cellular providers have been removing wireless spectrum from 3G service and dedicating that to LTE service, so your 3G performance will degrade or disappear entirely in the next few years.
Another question: Does pocket router itself has GPS ? I have heard about GPS mouse which surprises me, how could a mouse be GPS?
I'm not 100% sure on that, if they do have GPS it would be for 911 calling since some hotspots support calling.
Additional questions: What is to pay attention to when buying a 3G or 4G router? I've been looking at some forums and they are saying that firmware /driver of the router could matter so much. I am so confused about that because I know nothing about that. Any help?
Make sure you buy a wireless hotspot that works on your carrier. Most are limited in what carriers you can use them on. If you get an LTE hotspot, you then need to look at the bands they support as carriers buy more and more spectrum, so you want to make sure the hotspot you buy supports as many LTE bands as possible for best performance and coverage.
From a router perspective they're all pretty the same? Did you mean a mobile router that claims to be 3G or 4G or LTE is actually the same thing? Do you mean that if I've got a 4G or LTE carrier I will be able to run it with full speed on a 3G only mobile router?
He means that most consumer mobile hotspots have similar features when it comes to routing, such as changing the IP, configuring basic DHCP options, port forwarding, white/black lists, etc.

kenny1999

If you are buying new, they are all LTE these days. The only way to get a 3G only mobile hotspot is if you buy an ancient device, which is not ideal as in addition to not supporting the latest cellular technologies, they have ancient 802.11b/g WiFi, more limited routing options, etc.

LTE has many advantages over 3G, besides the obvious much faster speeds (which I don't know why you wouldn't want), such as significantly lower latency, and many cellular providers have been deploying LTE-only for the past 2 years, meaning you may get significantly better cellular signal over LTE compared to 3G.

Yes, the speed you obtain on 3G isn't any different with a 4G SIM vs 3G SIM.

Anywhere from ~1Mbps to low double digits. It depends on the carrier you are using. For instance Verizon/Sprint have a maximum speed of 2-3Mbps on 3G, while AT&T and T-Mobile can get around 10-15Mbps, since they all use different 3G technology. Keep in mind that in the U.S., all cellular providers have been removing wireless spectrum from 3G service and dedicating that to LTE service, so your 3G performance will degrade or disappear entirely in the next few years.

I'm not 100% sure on that, if they do have GPS it would be for 911 calling since some hotspots support calling.

Make sure you buy a wireless hotspot that works on your carrier. Most are limited in what carriers you can use them on. If you get an LTE hotspot, you then need to look at the bands they support as carriers buy more and more spectrum, so you want to make sure the hotspot you buy supports as many LTE bands as possible for best performance and coverage.

He means that most consumer mobile hotspots have similar features when it comes to routing, such as changing the IP, configuring basic DHCP options, port forwarding, white/black lists, etc.

Hi, thank you for the detailed information and so do you recommend Huawei, TP-Link or any brand otherwise? Here I can only find Huawei and TP-LINK or more other brands on Amazon. I am not in the US

Geoff

VIP Member
Hi, thank you for the detailed information and so do you recommend Huawei, TP-Link or any brand otherwise? Here I can only find Huawei and TP-LINK or more other brands on Amazon. I am not in the US

Where are you from and which carrier are you with?

Cellular bands differ in various regions and carriers.
This ^, we need to know what carrier you use first.

kenny1999

I am in Shenzhen, China, and Hong Kong sometimes. I am NOT in US and never been to US. I think you may not know about my carrier. If you really want to know, that's prepaid CSL card

already purchased a 4G mobile router here that costs around $80

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff

VIP Member
I am in Shenzhen, China, and Hong Kong sometimes. I am NOT in US and never been to US. I think you may not know about my carrier. If you really want to know, that's prepaid CSL card

already purchased a 4G mobile router here that costs around $80
We didn't ask for your carrier because we just wanted to know, we asked because you need to make sure the mobile hotspot you buy has the correct bands for your carrier. What hotspot did you buy?

kenny1999

We didn't ask for your carrier because we just wanted to know, we asked because you need to make sure the mobile hotspot you buy has the correct bands for your carrier. What hotspot did you buy?

How to check and study by myself next time to see if the mobile router fits the SIM carrier?

i've already bought one that could be used correctly, but the salesman only guarantees to me that it works in my area. That's claim to be a 4G LTE mobile wifi. Looks nice and not very expensive.

For example, if I travel abroad to other countries or cities where I would want to purchase a prepaid SIM, what should I check before ensuring that the SIM will work on my mobile router?

Geoff

VIP Member
How to check and study by myself next time to see if the mobile router fits the SIM carrier?

i've already bought one that could be used correctly, but the salesman only guarantees to me that it works in my area. That's claim to be a 4G LTE mobile wifi. Looks nice and not very expensive.

For example, if I travel abroad to other countries or cities where I would want to purchase a prepaid SIM, what should I check before ensuring that the SIM will work on my mobile router?
Assuming the mobile hotspot is unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier in your country, since it's a 4G LTE mobile hotspot all you need to check are the bands that it supports. It would say something similar to this on the spec sheet for the hotspot "LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26...." When you are traveling, you would search for what LTE bands carriers in that country use, and if most match then you will be fine to use it.