4 identical PC's on a network but one cannot access network

anasttin

Hi,

I've got 4 identical Windows 7 PC's but one of the PCs cannot access the others for file sharing and does not have access to the printer which is hosted on one of the other computers.

Strangely, all 4 computers CAN access the internet through the one LAN hub and all 4 computers CAN play network games with each other.

This seems very strange to me and I was hoping someone could offer some advice on how I might fix this problem?

Your help would be very much appreciated because I've googled all over the place and haven't found a solution so I'm ready to tear my hair out.

Thanks in advance.

Ana

Okedokey

Can you ensure that file sharing is turned on and has the right credentials in the culprit machine?

Okedokey

Ok so security settings and permisisons for individual folders or network locations given the ok to the computer, sorry, its not easy to do this remotely, until someone more experienced in networking comes along, ill try and help

anasttin

thanks bigfellla

I understand that it's hard to do this remotely so I appreciate your help.

The offending machine can't access other machines, even though the other machines can access each other, so I think the permissions and individual folders must be okay.

Another interesting point is that I ran a bunch of PC fixit type programs like "Advanced Window Care" and Tuneup Utilities on the offending machine and then the network worked fine for a while, but now it's gone bung again and can't access the others, or the network printer.

Is there some program I can run that will set up all the PC's the same so they work for networking?

Thanks again.

Donald_CNS

Have you looked at the Network Map?

Does the "bad" machine appear on your network?

Is your Network Discovery turned on?

Have you tried the Homegroup?