4 pin PSU/ 8 pin Mobo

RunAway

I know I can use the 4 pin to power the cpu but just kinda wondering what kind of problems I could potentially run into if any? I know I can get an adapter but is it really necessary?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely you won't be supplying enough power to the mobo. You should be able to get a converter to go from a molex connector to 8 pin cpu.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Some board you can use a 4 pin on a 8 pin CPU power connector, some boards you cant. Usually boards that you can come default/new with a cap over 4 of the pins you can. I would use all 8 if you can for a better supply of power.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would spend the extra money and get psu with the right connector. Chances are you need a better unit(higher wattage) anyway.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Will this suffice or is it advised on just getting the right psu?

What board is this? The 4/8 pin power connector doesnt power the board its the CPU power connector. It really depends on what board and CPU your going to use.

RunAway

linkin

VIP Member
If you could swap out the psu for one with an 8 pin then it will work no problems. 430w is enough for that provided you don't stick something like a 4850/4870 in there

StrangleHold

Staff member

In the manual it says you can use just the 4 pin connector. You should be fine with that processor. Unless you start really overclocking it. The next thing you get I would suggest getting a bigger power supply.

RunAway

In the manual it says you can use just the 4 pin connector. You should be fine with that processor. Unless you start really overclocking it. The next thing you get I would suggest getting a bigger power supply.

Thanks StrangleHold...Thats what I did and it seems to run fine...Did some Prime95 on it and it held up good ( I let it go til about 52c on stock air ) and let it run all night and looking good...Thanks to all who had a comment!