4 Questions regarding malware programs

razz

Hi all, nice to have joined this forum.

I have the latest paid version of Kaspersky Total Security and I also have the latest free version of WinPatrol. I've had Kaspersky installed for just over one year and during that time periodically ran on demand scans with Malwarebytes free. I've never had a malware problem, thank goodness.

Currently I am running 3 malware programs in order to test them (basically see what I think of them). All three are free versions that are still in the trial period. After the trial period I do not plan on upgrading to the paid versions. All 5 programs co-exist very well with no problems.

The 3 malware programs I am running are: Malwarebytes, Reason Core Security and MalwareFox.

I have 4 questions::

(1) In your opinion, which is the best and the worst of these three?

(2) Considering I have Kaspersky Total Security, would it be of any benefit to upgrade to the paid version of one or more of them?

(3) Is SpyBot Search and Destroy still an active company and if so, is it worth considering?

(4) Are there any other malware programs that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort, It will be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
(1) In your opinion, which is the best and the worst of these three?
Malwarebytes only, haven't even heard of the other 2. That has to tell you something.
(2) Considering I have Kaspersky Total Security, would it be of any benefit to upgrade to the paid version of one or more of them?
No
(3) Is SpyBot Search and Destroy still an active company and if so, is it worth considering?
Yes, its still active and updated but wouldn't recommend it when Malwarebytes is so much better.
(4) Are there any other malware programs that you would recommend?
You really don't need to buy virus software, custom install of free avast works wonders.

Deadpool

1- Same as john. Didn't even hear of the others.

2- MBAM is just a complement to regular antiviruses, it sometimes "catches" malware and spyware that the AV misses, but it doesn't look for all the stuff the AV does. If you have limitless cash and you are a security nut then do it, but I think Karspersky is enough. Just get the free version and run periodic scans if you are too concerned.

3- Spybot is still active and it's very similar to MBAM, only MBAM is better and more popular.

4- There are a couple of things you could get to complement the antivirus:
  1. Secunia PSI, this lets you know if you have old versions of software. Non updated versions of programs can cause vulnerabilities in your system.
  2. Spyware Blaster
  3. Adaware (compatibility mode) and Spybot/MBAM
  4. COMODO Firewall/Zonealarm Firewall
  5. EDIT: There are a few more, like HijackThis (this is a bit useless unless you have an expert that can analyze the log file for you) and MB Anti-Rootkit.
Not really anti malware software, but still very useful, and all of them free.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few more, like HijackThis (this is a bit useless unless you have an expert that can analyze the log file for you)
Doesn't matter as hijackthis is outdated and not used anymore. OTL is a much better program to use instead. I feel adaware and spybot are useless, however, spybot has been known to catch keyloggers that MBAM won't. Or at least it didn't. You don't see many keyloggers these days anyway. Our security section used to be very busy back in the day, trust me. Now its dead.

razz

Malwarebytes only, haven't even heard of the other 2. That has to tell you something.

You really don't need to buy virus software, custom install of free avast works wonders.

Thanks for your response john35. I tend to agree with you, Malwarebytes is the best.

No doubt that some AV freeware are very good, like Avast (as you said). In fact, I used Avast Free for many years, but I eventually decided I was more comfortable having a little extra protection and thus, after intense online research, elected Kaspersky. I'm not meaning to say that paid versions of AV are always better than free versions, but in the case of some, like Kaspersky, I definitely think it's better.

Added note: I am also using MSVP Host File and running uBlock Origin in my Chrome browser.

Deadpool

Doesn't matter as hijackthis is outdated and not used anymore. OTL is a much better program to use instead. I feel adaware and spybot are useless, however, spybot has been known to catch keyloggers that MBAM won't. Or at least it didn't. You don't see many keyloggers these days anyway. Our security section used to be very busy back in the day, trust me. Now its dead.

True. I actually forgot about keyloggers since I stopped using them. I used to have one keylogger that was free, and a few months ago it started having only a paid version. The program was called SpyShelter. A sad day indeed. The same happened with Zemana. The free version is now discontinued.

To be more precise, you don´t see free keyloggers nowadays. There are some "good" ones, but all above the $60 price point. The free ones are all outdated and with crappy UIs, if you find any at all.

EDIT: I would like to add MB Anti-exploit to my list. A very good tool too.

EDIT 2: The darn thing doesn´t exist anymore. It is now a part of MBAM Premium.

razz

1- Same as john. Didn't even hear of the others.

2- MBAM is just a complement to regular antiviruses, it sometimes "catches" malware and spyware that the AV misses, but it doesn't look for all the stuff the AV does. If you have limitless cash and you are a security nut then do it, but I think Karspersky is enough. Just get the free version and run periodic scans if you are too concerned.

4- There are a couple of things you could get to complement the antivirus:
  1. Secunia PSI, this lets you know if you have old versions of software. Non updated versions of programs can cause vulnerabilities in your system.
  2. Spyware Blaster
  3. Adaware (compatibility mode) and Spybot/MBAM
  4. COMODO Firewall/Zonealarm Firewall
  5. EDIT: There are a few more, like HijackThis (this is a bit useless unless you have an expert that can analyze the log file for you) and MB Anti-Rootkit.
Not really anti malware software, but still very useful, and all of them free.

Thanks for your response Deadpool.

2- I agree with you 100%. I also think Karspersky is enough. I'll use the free version of Malwarebytes (perhaps also MalwareFox) to run periodic on-demand scans.

4- I forgot about Secunia PSI, I'll certainly check it out. I did use Spywareblaster until I changed from Firefox to Chrome - now I can't because it doesn't support Chrome. I forgot to mention, I do use MB Anti-Rootkit when using Malwarebytes Free. Currently it's not active because of using the trial of Malwarebytes Premium, which ends in 1 week.

razz

Deadpool, just noticed your second post. You mentioned "Zemana" and that the free version is now discontinued. I was told that apparently Zemana is now MalwareFox. I didn't realize that a free version is not available. Too bad.

Deadpool

I did use Spywareblaster until I changed from Firefox to Chrome - now I can't because it doesn't support Chrome.

Why do you say that? It does support Chrome.

unQlFic.png

Agent Smith

You asked this same question at Anandtech. But I'll just offer my 2 cents.

Never use more than one anti-virus app at the same time. They will work against each other.

A definition-based anti-virus product will not stop a polymorphic virus from messing up your computer. You need to use a sandbox environment. And for that I use Sandboxie. There's others as well like VooDoo shield. wilderssecurity.com has all kinds of software listings.

I also use spy-the-spy which monitors if there are new or changed files on your computer. By default it monitors the Windows folder, I also include the Appdata folder. You do need to know what it shows and how to deal with its warnings though. A lot of what shows up is just an update or something.

Freefixer is a nice App and so is Herdprotect. There are many other things you can do, but that goes beyond the scope of this thread.

razz

Deadpool, thanks! I'll use Spywareblaster again now. I believe the last time I checked (quite some time ago) that Chrome was not included.

razz

Agent Smith, thanks very much for your advice and recommendations. I'll be checking out those apps.