40+ Programs running

Otterah

Back when I used the family's Dell, and I wanted to play agame like WoW, I msconfig and turned all the programs off and it ran faster.

But since I got this comp, I have never been allowed to do that. I have over 40 things running if i ctrl+alt+del and I have no idea what I can turn off and what I need to keep on. The first time I tried msconfig clean start, my XP was in classic style and things didnt work right.

Another problem is, I have asked this question before at other sites "not comp tech sites just game clan sites" i guess because you would have to see what i have running to know how to fix my problem, but I thought I would ask anyway maybe some one could kinda help..

Any one else ever have 40+ running at once? I bet half I dont need going, but I am affraid somethings I do need going..

Xycron

banned
I usssaly have just about 40 proccesses going. My PC runs fine with it, and alot of them are system processess anyways.

Try posying a HiJackThis log in the secruity section.

bigsaucybob

well there is a difference between processes and programs. saying that u have 40 programs running is intending that u actually are running 40 programs at the same time. 40 processes isnt that big of a deal. i have 50 processes running on my computer. 40 PROGRAMS is a whole different story.

Otterah

People say it explains my very low mark05 score. With 9800pro I think I should be getting like 3000+ but am only getting 2580-2610.

I am told I have to much running at once. But i dont know what i can turn off and what i cant.

gamerman4

Well I just counted and about 20 of my 38 running processes are directly from windows, 3 from my ISP service, 2 from my gfx card manager, 2 from the firewall, and a 6 from background progs and the rest are opened programs and I have every single service stopped other than the bare ones I need so your 40 programs are signs of a nice running PC.
You should check the graphics control panel for any settings that you may have turned on that slow down your 3dmark score. remember to turn off all antialiasing and anisitropic fikltering and other things when running 3dmark.

tweaker

VIP Member
Have a look at the site in my sig, you'll find a basic guide for tweaking XP there. Chapter 8 in particular may interest you.