$400 on an upgrade, advice please.

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my current system that I have. Which is a Dell Studio XPS 435 MT.

Specs:
I7 920 @ 2.67ghz
8.00gb 1333mhz
Intel X58 motherboard

rest is not really important as I would not reuse it, basically I have 400 dollars to spend. I was thinking of re-using the above components and putting them in a new case with a new gpu / power supply / video card. Wanted to hear some suggestions before I made a purchase.

Thanks.

ScottALot

X58 as a platform is just on the verge of being outdated, so I wouldn't advise trying to buy anything new for the system. However, used parts should be quite easy to come by and acquire for a cheap price. $400 can get you surprisingly far.

The i7 920 should have no issue being put into new hardware.
The memory and motherboard might be another story, however. Pre-built computers (Dells, Toshiba, ...) cheap out a lot with their components. They control and sometimes build the motherboard and RAM go into the system. Other, more reputable hardware manufacturers make the rest of the components. Because of this, the motherboard concerns me because they're quite common to burn out compared to other components.The memory is a tad concerning because on an X58 platform, usually the RAM capacity is in multiples of 3 (3GB, 6GB, 12GB) because X58 works best with triple channel memory. The 8GB capacity makes me think they cheaped out and went with two 4GB sticks, which is not optimal.

Honestly, if this were me personally, I wouldn't really be attempting to upgrade this system. Instead, I'd try to get as much as possible for the i7 and memory on FS threads or eBay (might be able to sell the motherboard as well on eBay) and save up for a completely new build.
However, you might be more strapped for cash than I anticipate. If that's the case, then you'll have no issue finding parts in our local For Sale threads or on alternative and trusted sites.

I do have an X58 board, GPU, and memory that I could sell you. If you're interested, feel free to PM me for details.

PCunicorn

Well a case, GPU, and PSU can all be reused if/when OP gets a new socket. Here's what I would do:

GTX 770-$320 (if you get a good deal, shouldn't be hard)
CX600M-$70
Pick a case you like from NZXT or Corsair, practically all the cases by them are good (don't buy anything by NZXT that has a silver inside though)-$50 +/-

Yes, this is over budget. But it is well worth it.

kdfresh09

I agree with above^^ ....id spend the money on a new gpu, and psu. id even forget about the case right now. stick with the i7 you have and the motherboard. the cpu is still a strong cpu and will handle anything with ease still. as for the ram, it doesn't have to be intervals of 3gb, 6gb ect ect...you can use 2gb sticks, just use 3, 1 in the same colored slots.

PCunicorn

A lot of times, OEM cases are to small. It's normally much easier to just get a new case.

Also, OP make sire your board is ATX.