45NM and X48 update

mkjaekmi

So x48 and 45nm will both come out in January?

Also, I have a question. Does Asus Intel motherboard mean it's an Intel motherboard with Asus name on it, or does it mean it's a motherboard made by Asus that *Supports* intel?

It's an Intel chipset (chip) with Asus's name basically, Like asus is the brand that adds more stuff to the intel motherbaord which intel is the manufacture of, correct?

=)

mkjaekmi

Does Asus Intel motherboard mean it's an Intel motherboard with Asus name on it, or does it mean it's a motherboard made by Asus that *Supports* intel?

It's an Intel chipset (chip) with Asus's name basically, Like asus is the brand that adds more stuff to the intel motherbaord which intel is the manufacture of, correct?

mkjaekmi

what's this "Merom-2M" (ultra-low-voltage, 65 nm)

65nm? does that mean it's better then 45nm?

so the 45nm penryn is coming out right after christmas.

What's better yorkfield or penryn? Yorkfield right?
Man I can't wait to get Core 2 Quad Q9550, but I think Core 2 Quad Q9450 will be better for the price/quality. Basically the same thing just nearly half the price.

Geoff

VIP Member
what's this "Merom-2M" (ultra-low-voltage, 65 nm)

65nm? does that mean it's better then 45nm?

so the 45nm penryn is coming out right after christmas.

What's better yorkfield or penryn? Yorkfield right?
Man I can't wait to get Core 2 Quad Q9550, but I think Core 2 Quad Q9450 will be better for the price/quality. Basically the same thing just nearly half the price.
45nm is better then 65nm, because it requires less voltage and runs cooler.

The QX9650 is already out, which is the 45nm quad-core with 12MB of cache.

spanky

then what's everyone waiting for?
Also, whats the difference between 35nm/45nm/65nm? what's the nm?

[-0MEGA-];836256 said:
The P35, X38, and X48 are Intel chipsets, the X48 being the latest one.

45nm is the size of the process, the smaller the transistors the more they can fit on a physical CPU die, thereby increasing processor performance. Now the upcoming 45nm processor are still Core 2 CPU's, so it's not going to "kill" the current generation, although they will be better.

God forbid you read what others have posted for you or use google.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
then what's everyone waiting for?

A processor that runs cooler and allows better overclocking. The increase in cache is another big improvement.

Also, whats the difference between 35nm/45nm/65nm? what's the nm?

The next shrinkage will be 32nm, not 35nm. That is due in 2009.

Omega answered your question:

[-0MEGA-];837106 said:
45nm is better then 65nm, because it requires less voltage and runs cooler.

mkjaekmi

oh sorry sorry i got confused with the x38. 35nm don't exist, common mistake. Plus you didn't even read mine carefully, or you would've let me known that 35nm didn't exist. didiree

So I understand people are waiting for a more overclockable hip, but which version would that be? So which 45nm?

Also, are there any good ddr3 memories out atm?