4890 -GTX460 Worth it?

Worth the upgrade?

• Your system will bottleneck it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think its worth upgrading from a 4890 overclocked (which ive set on Gpu review) to the stock GTX 460 1GB Version?...looks like a powerhouse for the price,and is DX11...also uses less power.

worth.png

Also would my current setup bottleneck this card?

Last edited:

Twist86

I wouldn't personally 4890 better than my GTX 260 192 core and I still max out every game I play. Also the 400 series are hot + eat the wattage up for the same (and in most cases) or with less FPS then its ATI counter part. Id wait for the 5850/5870 to fall in price and buy one of those vs 460. DX11 isn't that used yet and its not THAT great yet so its not worth the price.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:)

(I think someone is DX11 jumpy)

bomberboysk

Nope..GTX460 isnt worth the price to upgrade from a 4890....better off waiting until we see what ATi and nVidia offer in their next generation of GPU's IMO.

JLuchinski

DX 11 is awesome, especially in games like BC2 and Dirt 2. I'd sell the 4890 and get the 460 for sure. As soon as they become available at the local retailer here in Calgary I'm going to pick up 2. I used to have the 465 which was also a great card, but this one is way better for the money, I knew I took it back for a reason.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want DX11, the why not?

Well it would be nice to have DX11 for BC2..However i went from DX10 to DX9 in BC2 and didnt see any diffrence in looks.

So i didnt know if i should just stick with what ive got for now,Polls are tied :p

Twist86

Well it would be nice to have DX11 for BC2..However i went from DX10 to DX9 in BC2 and didnt see any diffrence in looks.

Nah hardly any difference and this is based off actual use DX10 (my rig) and DX11 (buddies rig). The only difference I noticed is lighting seemed to be superior and that imo is not worth $200 JUST for DX11.

This is really all I have to say though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

Out of all those games I will play 3 of them...and since DX10 supports some of the features I wont miss out on much.
So you gotta ask is that really worth it? Though on the plus side you could probably still sell your 4890 for $120-130 or so you could end up with a $60 upgrade (maybe less)

salvage-this

I think that your 4890 can hold out a bit longer. The ati 6*** series is coming out soon and it is rumored that it will have a new tessellation engine. Of course it is all speculation but that is what I am waiting for. Just to see what competition they bring. I admit, the 460 is really tempting me. GF 104 seems to be giving great performance vs. the GF 100.

AcetheGamer

Worth it if you want to try dx11 and values the fact of saving a bit of power. But performance difference? If we speak of the current games, the HD4890 is still quite capable, and due to most dx9 games still being produced and released, then difference won't be that noticeable considering the two cards are of the same performance range ( w/dx9 and dx10 that is ). Else if we speak of upcoming games, jumping to the dx11 wagon might be worth.

mihir

VIP Member
I would say if you plan on upgrading your complete system soon then dont upgrade the GPU now.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say if you plan on upgrading your complete system soon then dont upgrade the GPU now.

Yes i am planning on Upgrading,when though i dont know...im currently looking at buying a used I7 920,Gigabyte board and 1600Mhz from someone,but if the sale will go through i dont know as of yet.

But eventualy i will upgrade,everything so damn expensive atm :( ,thats why i was shocked at the 460s price....i wouldnt be suprised if it goes up a bit in the next month or two when they start selling loads of them.

mihir

VIP Member
then I would say you wait for the new cards since you dont know when you are going to upgrade so ....

87dtna

Also the 400 series are hot + eat the wattage up for the same (and in most cases) or with less FPS then its ATI counter part. Id wait for the 5850/5870 to fall in price and buy one of those vs 460. DX11 isn't that used yet and its not THAT great yet so its not worth the price.)

Not true anymore, the 460 rocks. The gtx460 idles cooler and less wattage than a 5770!!!

You MUST get the 1gb version though, NOT the 768. The 768mb is only 192bit memory bus, 1gb is 256bit. The 1gb gtx460 is actually slightly stronger than a gtx465. It's the new 8800gt! Remember when the 640mb 8800gts was hot, and the 8800gt came out? It was cheaper yet stronger than the 640mb 8800gts. Well, thats the gtx460 now!

Last edited:

87dtna

No I meant 8800gt. The 8800gts 512mb was still pricy, the 8800gt flew in under the radar as best bang for the buck when the 8800gts 640mb was huge. The 8800gt 512mb is G92 core, but just 112 stream processors. BUT still stronger than the 8800gts 640 mb anyway! The 8800gts 512mb didn't come out until a few months later.