4890 or GTX275

Compequip

I can get either card for about the same price $200.00. Which would be better? I'm putting it with a i7 920 and a asus p6T Deluxe. i can either crossfire or SLI at a later date correct? Thanks for the help.

Compequip

So what should I get? I'm thinking of getting one now and another in 6 months. I have a newer rig now that's running a 4870 and it runs all my apps. just fine. So I'm thinking either of these would do, but just curious what would be better or are they pretty much evenly matched?

Fatback

VIP Member
I would say they are evenly matched and you can OC the 4890 to make it better then the GTX 275. In 6 months I would think the 4890 would be around $150 why the GTX 275 would still be pushing $200. If you can go ahead and get a ATI Radeon 4890 x2.

bomberboysk

So what should I get? I'm thinking of getting one now and another in 6 months. I have a newer rig now that's running a 4870 and it runs all my apps. just fine. So I'm thinking either of these would do, but just curious what would be better or are they pretty much evenly matched?
Get an hd4890, it meets/beats the GTX275 in alot of benchmarks, overclocks amazingly well, plus the gddr5 overclocks like none other. Plus it will be cheaper than a gtx275 in the long run if you crossfire.

Last edited:

CardboardSword

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the 4890, and while redundant, it adds to the weight of the opinion. On par with the 275, but can tear past it once you OC it.

jevery

While a dedicated ATI user and supporter, I’m gonna go against the flow on this one. I think I recently made a case myself for the 4890 being equal to the 275, based on this hierarchy chart.

Toms2.jpg

from this article.

Looking at another article later, it looks like the 275 averages a frame rate quite a bit higher than the 4890.

Toms1.jpg

If we’re talking OCing, though, maybe the 4890 would equal or surpass the 275 – I don’t know, but it would be working harder to do so.

Compequip

So basicly it doesn't matter what gpu I go with they're both great cards. So now what do I want to spend is up to me. The 275 is 199.99 after mir and the 4890 is 169.99 after mir from Zip as of now. On NE they're the same price. Thanks for all the comments.

bomberboysk

So basicly it doesn't matter what gpu I go with they're both great cards. So now what do I want to spend is up to me. The 275 is 199.99 after mir and the 4890 is 169.99 after mir from Zip as of now. On NE they're the same price. Thanks for all the comments.
Yep, both great cards. But remember, if you plan on sli/xfire, go with the 4890 as ati tends to drop their prices somewhat more than nvidia does.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
4890 barely competes with gtx 260, let alone gtx 275.

gtx 275 is a faster card than 4890.

from a 4890 owner i must say..im not sure where you get your info from but its wrong!

the 4890 is in the same league as a 275...in some benches and games it beats it.

Get an hd4890, it meets/beats the GTX275 in alot of benchmarks, overclocks amazingly well, plus the gddr5 overclocks like none other. Plus it will be cheaper than a gtx275 in the long run if you crossfire.

+ 1 :good: