4GB of RAM and 32bit Vista

nyhk

What's this talk about the service pack and 4GB of RAM?

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true

well Whats the differnce between 32 bit and 64 bit?

There are all kinds of differences. In 32-bit, PAE will only give you a larger address space on the physical side. The virtual address space for example will not grow larger. And registers will still be 32 bit wide

it doesn't support over 4 gigs of ram

Still? After i've mentioned pae? google ... ?

nyhk

It's true, that not all systems can go beyond 4G. You need the same hardware requirements as when you want a 64-bit OS to go above

speedyink

VIP Member
Ok, so according to the link SP1 will just show the amount of RAM installed, even if the system can't use all of it. So that brings me back to my other question, How is Vista x64? Is it less reliable or does it have less compatibility than x86? Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Jabes

banned
I have x64 and its very good I haven't really had any problems with programs that I can think of right now

2048Megabytes

A 64-bit operating system from my understanding also has better textures and graphics over a 32-bit operating system.

And I wouldn't worry so much about the 3 gigabyte memory barrier as most software won't even utilize over 3 gigabytes of Random Access Memory anyway.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I have x64 and its very good I haven't really had any problems with programs that I can think of right now

Well for one it doesn't really do well with some of my games.... "Debugging" issues with Halo, and other stuff :(

But otherwise it's a great! I'd recommend any x64 OS to them, excluding XP x64.

speedyink

VIP Member
I was reading about it on google, and it says that 64 bit won't let non digitally signed drivers install. I remember installing a few drivers that weren't digitally signed, so that could be a problem. Also, I heard that it was far less compatible than 32 bit, with devices and programs. Is this true?