4K Netflix & Windows

Laquer Head

I swear I recall someone explaining this recently, or it coming up in conversation- but I'm curious on something. My home Netflix package allows me to watch whatever 4K content Netflix has when I use my 4K TV.

The question I have, or more looking for clarity on - What is the deal with Netflix when viewed on a PC, either via the website or through the Windows Store Netflix app.- 4K isn't available, and yes, I'm using a 4K display.

Was there something that was missing from PC version that doesn't allow 4K content? or something the end user needs to install? Is this a PC limitation or Netflix limitation?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Last I heard, 4k on Netflix for pc requires the 7th Gen Intel processors because of some hardware drm decoder. I don't know if ryzen has it or not.

Okedokey

Its not so much about the high-end grunt of components but the ability to support PlayReady 3.0. So this is just a DRM implementation over hardware ability in terms of 4K.

Darren

Staff member
Its not so much about the high-end grunt of components but the ability to support PlayReady 3.0. So this is just a DRM implementation over hardware ability in terms of 4K.
That's exactly my point, you obviously don't need that kind of hardware to push 4K considering my friggin phone can record 4K let alone play it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's exactly my point, you obviously don't need that kind of hardware to push 4K considering my friggin phone can record 4K let alone play it.
It was talked about when they first announced it. Software DRM decoding is possible but they went with the route of a hardware decoder. They got a decent amount of flak for it, but it didn't phase them.