4x agp with 8x card

nottech

I plan to buy a 6800 GT which is 8x AGP, i want to know if my mobo which is 4x AGP will be able to support the Video card?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You should have no problems with that, but the video card will not function at his best performance level if it's in a 4x agp slot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Argueable. Not very many games saturate the 4X AGP spec and very very very few come close to beginning to contest the 8X spec... dunno why there's so much hype with the new PCI-Video spec :confused:

Grimulus

yeah, some agp cards that are 8x support a 4x slot, though you won't get the full effect of the card. so unless you are going to upgrade your motherboard soon, don't waste your money on a 400 dollar video card when you won't see the benefit. note that i said some, and not all, so you may want to do some checking.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
In normal use you can hardly reach the 4x agp limitations. I meant that don’t worry if benchmark tests result are smaller than that claimed by the card’s manufacturer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
note that I said some, and not all, so you may want to do some checking.
If you buy a relatively mainstream card you'll be fine :)

In normal use you can hardly reach the 4x agp limitations
Very true... even in extreme cases like Level 3 of Doom3 or something i wouldnt think AGP6x is tested and even with AGP4X you'll be plenty fine