5.1 speakers

Zoop

Just bougth a 40" Toshiba flat screen, hooked up a PS3, so now im ready...
Sadly the sound on the tv is no good, so i tried setting up the
Logitech x-530, but i am a little disappointed about the sound.
Clearly its a big improvement from the normal tv speakers, but i dont feel i get all of the bass, thats in the movie/games i play.
I tried to turn up the volume on the sub itself, but then i can hear the air blowing in and out on the subwoofer, which destroys a good movie.
But then i did read that the sub placement could mean alot, so quikly moved the sub behind my desk, and damm i could hear the bass.
A few days ago, i walked in a electronics store, and looked at some of the speakers, and i was amazed about the bass, and the surround sound.
I dont wanna buy a reciever and speakers.
I have looked on the logitech Z-5500 and was almost sure that it was the speakers for me, i am not so sure about them, i have readed that THX qualified speakers needs precise placement, and i wonder if theres an manual for that?
Anyway i need some good 5.1/7.1 speakers, and if you can find some with THX qualified i would be grateful, the budget is about 400-500$
Remember i live in Denmark :)

astrallite

THX certification means nothing when it comes to computer speakers--it's called "THX multimedia certification" which requires absolutely no performance benchmarks.

The relevant certifications are Ultra and Ultra2 which are used for home theater speakers, and the Z-5500s don't qualify for that by a long shot. Creative owns the "THX multimedia license" and just sells it to computer peripheral companies and doesn't mean it's gone through any "certification" process.

True THX certification requires your speakers to play down to 50 Hz at -3db. The Z-5500s satellites are crossed over 150 Hz. Off by a mile (or kilometer).

Nothing is THX certified at $400. The lowest THX certified receivers alone cost over $600, much less entire speaker systems.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Don't buy computer speakers for home theaters! Almost all 5.1 computer speakers suck and don't stack up at all to dedicated receivers/amps and passive speakers.

Zoop

600$?! Then THX speakers it wont be...
Sadly my room where i got my tv is very small, 4x5 approx, so i cant fit in big speakers, anyway thanks for the advice, i was vey close to buy the Z-5500.

I will try asking some tv guys
Cya :)

Last edited: