5 New systems needed for WCG, £1320 Budget

WeatherMan

Hi guys,

Basically have a budget of £1320, looking at some new systems for Crunching on World Community Grid.

Been thinking about C2D's, but not quite sure yet. Mainly E4400's or E6600's, each system will be at stock as I don't have the cash to buy decent RAM + Mobo's that can OC well.

Anyone got any Suggestions, im all ears:D

Schonza

1320 pounds for each system? Just clear that up, then I'll get to work listing specs I think will fit your requirements, do you need a vid card/monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers etc etc with your builds, or just the towers?

WeatherMan

1320 pounds for each system? Just clear that up, then I'll get to work listing specs I think will fit your requirements, do you need a vid card/monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers etc etc with your builds, or just the towers?

No monitors, no keyboards, £1320 for 5+ systems, don't want anything like a QX6700 cos I can build up more points with a few cheaper cores put together :)

EDIT: With the mobo's if theres cheap OCing boards around i'd get one of them and something like a X300, but if not I don't mind onboard, seing as the systems would just be sitting there crunching.

daisymtc

Still not get you... May be my english is crap...

Do you mean you have £1320 for 5 PC, So £264 each?
Or you need 5 PC, with budget of £1320 each?

I still not understand what is the purposing of system...
And not quite sure what you mean crunching WCG...

daisymtc

base unit at £264:

Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Basic x64Bit (DVD) - 1pk £45.99

Asus M2NPV-MX Socket AM2 Nvidia Geforce 6150 onboard Audio VGA £35.13

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2GHz) Socket AM2 Energy Efficient L2 1MB (2x512KB) Cache Retail Boxed Processor £43.16

Kingston 1GB Kit (2x512MB) DDR2 PC2-5300/667MHz - Non Ecc - Cl5 - 1.8V £28.94

Seagate ST3160211AS 160GB SATAII 2MB Cache 7200RPM - OEM £29.57

Samsung SH-S183 SATA 18x DVD1RW/RAM Black - Bare drive OEM £17.49

Raidmax Black/Silver Mid Tower Case - With 450W PSU £21.26

Ebuyer Extra Value Thermal Compound Silver Grease £0.42

Case Fan Mounting Screws - Pack Of 50 £0.98

Extra Value 8cm Internal Case Cooling Fan 4 Pin £0.39@ x2 £0.78

Cart Total: £223.72 + VAT = £262.93
Free supersaver delivery (within 5 working days)

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Thanks for that:) I'l have a little play around with the config.

Forgot to mention, don't need an OS, Optical drives, or thermal compound, or fans n screws, thanks for taking the time to look though ^^ :)

Basically looking for, CPU, Mobo, RAM, HDD, case & PSU, oh im also gonna need another switch in somewhere, as I only have 4 more ports on my 1st hub:p

Crunching on WCG is like Folding, WCG stands for World Community Grid, I crunch for XtremeSystems, a very competitive team, If I have some cash left over I'll probably look at getting a few X1900GT's and adding them to CF's F@H team:)

What I have been looking at for Specs is E4400, £50 mobo, £20 ram, £20 case and a cheapo PSU that wont catch the house alite :p

Have been thinking about 5 E4400 Systems. Was just seing if you guys would be able to put anything together that would perform better than 5 of them:)

WeatherMan

is that a 65nm version?

I have a Brisbane X2 3600 65nm crunching ATM, and for some reason its pushing around half the output than my E6400 does, might be because its only at 2GHz

daisymtc

should stick to c2d

If he building business PC, he probably not OC it. And with G965 chipset, you can't OC much anyway. He can't go with P965/ 945 + video card, not enough budget.
So, AMD x 2 4600+ with 2GB may better than E4400 with 1GB RAM

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I still not understand what is the purposing of system...
And not quite sure what you mean crunching WCG...
WCG is like folding@home but they run multiple projects.