$5000 laptop

Troncoso

VIP Member
5k to spend on a laptop. What would you get? Ideally want great performance, powerful, long lasting (can keep up with new technology longer) looks cool and has cool features. Going to use it for everything from internet to hardcore games to video streaming and the likes. Basically a bad@$$ system. Don't know really what I can get with 5k, so that's why I'm asking you guys.

bigrich0086

Cant be serious. No laptop will be badass period. They cant handle high performance without high heat. 5k take half that and build a nice i7 desktop and other half on monitors and a laptop.

No one in their right mind would spend 5k on a laptop just insanity.

iGeekOFComedy

5k to spend on a laptop. What would you get? Ideally want great performance, powerful, long lasting (can keep up with new technology longer) looks cool and has cool features. Going to use it for everything from internet to hardcore games to video streaming and the likes. Basically a bad@$$ system. Don't know really what I can get with 5k, so that's why I'm asking you guys.

Are you serious. With that I'd buy a bad ass laptop and desktop. Being the mac Fan I am I have to recommend for $4,616.00 if you just want a laptop

17" MacBook Pro with all the bad ass options ticked i'm talking

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
512GB SSD
Apple Care 3 year
Apple remote
Apple Magsafe airline adaptor

Otherwise I'd buy like a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro

Graphics wouldn't be great but it would be best for video editing and photo editing and it has the cool features

Troncoso

VIP Member
haha, well I've looked around since I've posted, in reality badass will only cost about 3k and I love my computer to much to scrap it for a new one. Nothing special but with the other 2k I can really give it some upgrades. So adjusting the budget to 3k, any serious suggestions? Obviously a mac book. What else?

bigrich0086

haha, well I've looked around since I've posted, in reality badass will only cost about 3k and I love my computer to much to scrap it for a new one. Nothing special but with the other 2k I can really give it some upgrades. So adjusting the budget to 3k, any serious suggestions? Obviously a mac book. What else?

I gave you a serious suggestion. spending that kind of money on a laptop is pointless man. They outdate within 1-2 years and you cant upgrade well.

Stick with desktops for performance and laptops overheat faster and downgrade over time fast.

iGeekOFComedy

I gave you a serious suggestion. spending that kind of money on a laptop is pointless man. They outdate within 1-2 years and you cant upgrade well.

Stick with desktops for performance and laptops overheat faster and downgrade over time fast.

True. But if it's i7 even dual core he will get 3 good years if he gets 8gb and 512gb and possibly 4 years. Now i know that sounds like mac but if he wants pc theres even better performance options. Just don't expect it to perform AS well as mac

bigrich0086

True. But if it's i7 even dual core he will get 3 good years if he gets 8gb and 512gb and possibly 4 years. Now i know that sounds like mac but if he wants pc theres even better performance options. Just don't expect it to perform AS well as mac

Macs are overprices due to software. That i7 mac i can build for half that with 5870 with monitor. I just dont see giving macs as an option if your not some kind of editing guru.

iGeekOFComedy

Macs are overprices due to software. That i7 mac i can build for half that with 5870 with monitor. I just dont see giving macs as an option if your not some kind of editing guru.

Why not give the option. They would be best for video editing and photo editing and if he wants to take up app development on iPod touches and iPhones it's the only option with xcode. I know over priced. Not good at gaming but it's better than PCs at somethings and worse than PCs at others plus theres cool features on the macbook pro that cant be found on PCs.

Troncoso

VIP Member
No doubt, if it was worth the time to lug my desktop and monitor around with me everywhere I go, I'd definitely put the money into a power house, But the fact of the matter is, most of my day is spent away from my home, so I need something portable. I suppose I don't need to try and match my desktop in performance exactly, but I want to know what my options are. The thing about me is, if I'm going to invest in a computer whether it be desktop or laptop, I want it to be of quality. I'm very much considering an i7 though. In a mac or a pc, I don't know, but beyond, my issue is, what brand to go with.

Troncoso

VIP Member
haha. alright. Let's change the question. I got 5k. I need something for on the go, and want something for massive entertainment at home. How can I work that out?

iGeekOFComedy

Makes sense. I'd buy a 2 - 2.5K Laptop for the gaming. I'm a fan of mac and if you plan to get into photoshopping and video editing it's a no brainer and it will do DECENT ENOUGH gaming but if you plan to do Gaming ONLY and web browsing etc PC would be a no brainer and spend the rest on a big arse TV, surround sound and a Settop box like apple tv or roku

If you really want to spend the money you can get a Sager, though I think they are personally a waste.

This one is $4,900 if you max out all the options, I built it with 2 x 160GB SSD drives

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8850

but what a waste

Unless the laptop is 4 + inches thick did a house blow up yet:

Fatback

VIP Member
Dude. build a "bad@$$" desktop, 3k, that will run anything,(for the gaming) and buy a 1k laptop

I say take $2500 build yourself a desktop, and put the another $500 towards some nice monitors and speakers. Then take the rest and get your self something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220704 or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152192 .

and the other 1k??

Well if you do go his way I will be happy to take the other 1k off your hands:cool:

tlarkin

VIP Member
My advice is go get a 15" macbook Pro. It has all the features you want in a laptop. Light weight, long battery life, can run all mac apps and windows apps (via virtual machines, corss over api, or boot camp) and has every feature you'd ever want built in.

Then take the rest of your money and build a PC gaming desktop. Best of both worlds.