$5000 laptop

Troncoso

VIP Member
My advice is go get a 15" macbook Pro. It has all the features you want in a laptop. Light weight, long battery life, can run all mac apps and windows apps (via virtual machines, corss over api, or boot camp) and has every feature you'd ever want built in.

Then take the rest of your money and build a PC gaming desktop. Best of both worlds.

A mac book pro is a serious consideration for me. The only problem is it's very limited custom features. I mean, they have great specs, but Dang, whit or black....haha I don't know. why not the 17 inch? or is that just a personal preference?

Haha, an iphone. Might as well tell me to get the damn ipad.

tlarkin

VIP Member
A mac book pro is a serious consideration for me. The only problem is it's very limited custom features. I mean, they have great specs, but Dang, whit or black....haha I don't know. why not the 17 inch? or is that just a personal preference?

Haha, an iphone. Might as well tell me to get the damn ipad.

The 15" is the best balance in my opinion. 17" screens are dumb (my opinion) when it comes to laptops. They consume more power, make the laptop bigger, and make it heavier. When you have to haul around one every day for work, you want it to be light weight but yet at the same time a performer at what it does.

The 15" gives you plenty of screen real estate for a laptop, it is high resolution, high quality, yet not as big and has heavy as the 17" thus making it more mobile.

What do you want custom about it? You can have a third party customize your casing. They can do laser etching or whatever, but it isn't cheap. Plus, to be honest, one of the best things about buying a Mac is that they keep their resell value. Just go look at 1 and 2 year old Macs on ebay or Craigs list. I would say buy the 15" macbook pro, in it's slick aluminum metal case and keep it stock. Then 2 years from now you can sell it, at still a high price, and upgrade to a new one. Thus lowering your overall cost of ownership on your laptops.

Then build your desktop for gaming, and you can file share between the two.

iGeekOFComedy

I thought the ipad was so retarded, watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI99t9k4aEE

iPads aren't retarded. They are the best devices for watching TV shows 35 thousand feet or a movie if your Laptop dies on that 12 hour flight.

FAQ:

No front facing camera: For video conferencing, it's 1.5 pounds so holding it upto chat would be painful the case apple provides make it down view computing.

No USB: It's built on iOS3.2 None which have USB Support anyway. Theres a USB Slot for Visual devices like Cameras and audio devices like external microphone and it can accept SDHC.

No Flash: What do we do with flash: Run multimedia websites and games. Well first games wouldn't work anyway. Theres no mouse. They developers would need to design for multitouch and tilting so they might as well recode it for HTML5. Ok, Video. Youtube is HTML5, ABC Player is HTML5, NetFlix is HTML5, Vimeo is HTML5. And websites like bangandoulfsen will need to upgrade their sites for proper experiences anyway.

Troncoso

VIP Member
haha. I don't know, I guess I just don't like the idea of pulling a notebook out that looks just like the 5 next to me, you know? But that's not really what's most important to me. I was looking at the mac store and making my build to see how much it would cost, and there is no where that lets your choose black or whit. How can I get a black one?

Troncoso

VIP Member
iPads aren't retarded. They are the best devices for watching TV shows 35 thousand feet or a movie if your Laptop dies on that 12 hour flight.

FAQ:

No front facing camera: For video conferencing, it's 1.5 pounds so holding it upto chat would be painful the case apple provides make it down view computing.

No USB: It's built on iOS3.2 None which have USB Support anyway. Theres a USB Slot for Visual devices like Cameras and audio devices like external microphone and it can accept SDHC.

No Flash: What do we do with flash: Run multimedia websites and games. Well first games wouldn't work anyway. Theres no mouse. They developers would need to design for multitouch and tilting so they might as well recode it for HTML5. Ok, Video. Youtube is HTML5, ABC Player is HTML5, NetFlix is HTML5, Vimeo is HTML5. And websites like bangandoulfsen will need to upgrade their sites for proper experiences anyway.

well, by giving valid reason for not having certain features, that doesn't really show how it's not retarded. By it's just opinion. The video is funny, and I agree, to me it's just like a big itouch. yeah, it's better for videos and that such thing, but hey with that can of price just get a laptop.

edit: sorry I missed your first sentence. If the ipad is just a backup for a laptop on long flights.....why not just buy an extra battery?

tlarkin

VIP Member
The iPad is not meant to replace a laptop. It is meant to compete with the eReader market. Look at it's competition, and compare features. Sure the iPad costs a bit more (however not all that much) than other eReaders, but it also does way much more.

Apple combined the iPod, with the features of an eReader to break into that market. the iPad is not meant to compete with any laptop or replace it.

On a side note, have you guys seen Slayer Pinball for the iPad, WOW!!!!!:eek:

mtb211

laptop

your crazy to spend 5k on a laptop, unless your a trust fund baby and you have loads of money.. if its for gaming I guess you could be an overpriced alienware with a three year warrenty, or an insane macbook, i woudlnt spend anything more than 1300 for a laptop, for that money you could build a great PC...

Troncoso

VIP Member
haha. well you didn't mention anything about eReading the first time around. But also, you can read eBooks on a laptop too. Like I said. It's all opinion. I personally don't think it's worth the money when all it has over a laptop is a touchscreen. Though, if one fell from the sky into my lap, hell yeah I'd use it.

@mtb211, yes, we've already decided 5k is too much. My question changed to, needing a mobile computer, and a kickass home system and doing it with 5k

mtb211

Troncoso; said:
@mtb211, yes, we've already decided 5k is too much. My question changed to, needing a mobile computer, and a kickass home system and doing it with 5k

sorry I did not see that, try looking at asus laptops, I love them... maybe build an i7 machine, overclock it

want me to build something up?

iGeekOFComedy

The iPad is not meant to replace a laptop. It is meant to compete with the eReader market. Look at it's competition, and compare features. Sure the iPad costs a bit more (however not all that much) than other eReaders, but it also does way much more.

Apple combined the iPod, with the features of an eReader to break into that market. the iPad is not meant to compete with any laptop or replace it.

On a side note, have you guys seen Slayer Pinball for the iPad, WOW!!!!!:eek:

Exactly. I'd use an iPad on a long airplane flight if your battery died on my MacBook Pro. Less than 4 hours if your using final cut for sure so i'd load up a tv show and be golden