500W or 600W Power Supply?

codename47deni

As some of you may already know, I want to buy the following:

• CPU: LGA1155 Intel® Core™ i3-2100,3.10GHz/3MB BOX 32nm
  • MOTHERBOARD: LGA1155 iP67 Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, PCIe/DDR3/SATA3/GLAN/7.1
  • HDD: SATA3 7200 500GB Seagate Barracuda® ST500DM002, 16MB
  • MEMORY: 2 x DIMM DDR3 4GB 1333MHz Patriot Signature CL9, PSD34G13332
  • DVD+/-RW LiteOn iHAS122-18B / SATA/ black, 22XDVD/12xDVD-RAM
  • VGA: AMD Radeon 6670 Sapphire 1GB/DDR5,/DVI/HDMI/VGA/bulk/128bit/11192-14-10G
  • CASE: Xigmatek Asgard, black
  • PSU: 500W Frontier or 600W Intex Accopia

The one thing I'm not sure about: which power supply is safer to have running all this?

claptonman

Either one, from a quality brand. Antec, corsair, seasonic, silverstone, pc power and cooling, or xfx. The corsair CX600 is a popular choice.

The ones you have in your post will probably fail at a much sooner point than the brands listed above. Stay away from them.

codename47deni

Either one, from a quality brand. Antec, corsair, seasonic, silverstone, pc power and cooling, or xfx. The corsair CX600 is a popular choice.

The ones you have in your post will probably fail at a much sooner point than the brands listed above. Stay away from them.

I live in Serbia, so I'm not sure I have access to these brands. But I'll check anyways. Thanks.

I'd like to stay within a budget so... we'll see.

UPDATE: The store where I'm buying doesn't have the brands above, and it would cost me more money to order online. I see that they have Thermal Take, but that's over my budget. $60 for a power supply? Wow!

Last edited:

claptonman

Thermaltake would be much better than those brands. Just be aware you may be putting your entire system at risk if the power supply fails. If you can spend the extra on the thermaltake, it's good insurance rather than risking the whole computer.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I live in Serbia, so I'm not sure I have access to these brands. But I'll check anyways. Thanks.

I'd like to stay within a budget so... we'll see.

UPDATE: The store where I'm buying doesn't have the brands above, and it would cost me more money to order online. I see that they have Thermal Take, but that's over my budget. $60 for a power supply? Wow!

I hate to tell you man, but $60 is cheap for a 500-600w PSU. If you are really expecting to pay less, you will not get a quality product.

If you want to save some money, go down to 4GB RAM. The rest of your system isn't fast enough to really find the extra 4 useful (depending on what you will do).

codename47deni

I hate to tell you man, but $60 is cheap for a 500-600w PSU. If you are really expecting to pay less, you will not get a quality product.

If you want to save some money, go down to 4GB RAM. The rest of your system isn't fast enough to really find the extra 4 useful (depending on what you will do).

Play Assassin's Creed. :)

But seriously... some gaming and office tasks mostly. Sometimes I cut some audio, but not heavily. Ok, because I wasn't sure about the RAM.

Does it matter if I have 2 x 2GB or 1 x 4GB of RAM?

My store has these brands to offer:
  • Zito
  • JNC
  • Spire (also Spire Jewel)
  • LC Power
  • ThermalTake
  • Frontier
  • Intex Accopia

Last edited:

codename47deni

Thermaltake would be much better than those brands. Just be aware you may be putting your entire system at risk if the power supply fails. If you can spend the extra on the thermaltake, it's good insurance rather than risking the whole computer.

I can fit the following into my budget:
http://tinyurl.com/7lktuh8

How much do you usually spend on a power supply?

EDIT: I had to downgrade to an 18.5" monitor to afford the PSU.

claptonman

$60-100 USD. But if you can't find any other PSU due to your location, that thermaltake is the best one you can get. Is that the website you're ordering from?

Troncoso

VIP Member
I can fit the following into my budget:
http://tinyurl.com/7lktuh8

How much do you usually spend on a power supply?

EDIT: I had to downgrade to an 18.5" monitor to afford the PSU.

Take the Thermaltake if that's really the options you have to choose from. They are actually a better brand than people make them out to be.

And I agree, 2X2 is better to take advantage of your motherboard's dual channel mode.

codename47deni

I found a SATA2 HDD for $62. Does it matter if it's SATA2 or SATA3? I know there's a difference in transfer speed but... will I notice?

Last edited:

Jiniix

If you can afford it, get one of the new XFX ProSeries with solid soldering. They are amazing, and at idle they are completely silent because they have great airflow.
A bit more expensive than some, but worth it.