50D or D90

Geoff

VIP Member
Alright, I bit the bullet and bought some stuff! This is what I ended up getting:

Canon EOS 50D w/28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 10-22mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen 77mm Circular Polarizer
Sunpak 620-060 Quick Release Tripod
Transcend 133x 8GB CF Card

Signed up for Amazon Prime so just paid $26 and got next day air shipping, should be here tomorrow!

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks! What's M? I only shoot on the green rectangle, auto something I think.

Just kidding! I usually shoot in aperture priority or "program" mode with custom ISO settings.

Geoff

VIP Member
lol @ you. :p

There's nothing that comes close to full manual mode.
I prefer Av mode just because honestly, there's usually no need for me to manually set the aperture AND the shutter speed. Usually it's one or the other, i.e. if I want to freeze action I'll set it to Tv mode, if I want more of the photograph to be in focus or less in focus (i.e. bokeh), I'll set the camera to Av mode. I also keep the ISO at 200 if possible, at least on the XSi I'm not that happy with the results at ISO400 or higher.

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1200477 said:
I prefer Av mode just because honestly, there's usually no need for me to manually set the aperture AND the shutter speed. Usually it's one or the other, i.e. if I want to freeze action I'll set it to Tv mode, if I want more of the photograph to be in focus or less in focus (i.e. bokeh), I'll set the camera to Av mode. I also keep the ISO at 200 if possible, at least on the XSi I'm not that happy with the results at ISO400 or higher.

Manual Mode - The key to great photos. Period.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1200477 said:
If I want more of the photograph to be in focus or less in focus (i.e. bokeh), I'll set the camera to Av mode. I also keep the ISO at 200 if possible, at least on the XSi I'm not that happy with the results at ISO400 or higher.

Technically that would be depth of field, but you had the correct line of thought.
I'm really curious to know, what do you do with your photos that makes ISO 400 on the XSI unusable?

ISO 400 on the K10D is fine for me, and it's most likely "worse" then the XSI. Some of my favorite shots were taken at ISO 800 if not 1600.

Also, I love how photography has taken a 180* from what it used to be. Sure things change, I understand that. I wonder what would happen if all cameras only had manual and nothing else, not even auto focus.

That would be a sight to behold.

Geoff

VIP Member
Manual Mode - The key to great photos. Period.
If I had minutes to evaluate and take test shots for everything I wanted, then sure, but often I want to take a photo of something where I only have one shot to get it right.

Technically that would be depth of field, but you had the correct line of thought.
I'm really curious to know, what do you do with your photos that makes ISO 400 on the XSI unusable?

ISO 400 on the K10D is fine for me, and it's most likely "worse" then the XSI. Some of my favorite shots were taken at ISO 800 if not 1600.

Also, I love how photography has taken a 180* from what it used to be. Sure things change, I understand that. I wonder what would happen if all cameras only had manual and nothing else, not even auto focus.

That would be a sight to behold.
I know, bokeh is just an example of what you can do when messing with the DoF.

As for the noise issue, I don't have time to post up some samples shots right now (I will later), but basically if any of the image has dark spots/shadows, there will be a decent amount of noise, especially when cropped at 100%.

I do have an old film camera with no auto focus and mostly manual controls, it's not as much fun for me :p