512 MB to 1 GB

ChrisDVD

I use lots of Abode pages (for homeschool) and they are quite 'delicate'. sometime the whole thing will mess up, so i had to re-open them,. lpus, sometime with my school, i have about 6-7 pages open, so you guys think i should go from 512 MB to a gig?

Chris

terpsjohn

what do you guys recommend for upgrading to 1gig. like what brand? and is it easy to install in a laptop on my own? could I figure it out?

LITHIUM

I would definetely recommend upgrading to 1 GIG of RAM! You will be able to see a huge difference in performance. I would go with some Corsair or Kingsont, IMO those are the best two brands

Arm_Pit3

[-0MEGA-] said:
There would be a significant improvement in most tasks. But it wont make much of a difference in games since anything that you play with your integrated graphics probably dont even use 512mb of ram.
Thats not quite true, world of warcraft could, and you can play that on fairly high settings with a low video card. just without the shaders. I used to play it all the time with my MX440, and i saw a bigger inprovment wth more ram, then when i upgraded my video card. Ctrl-Alt-Dlt during a game of it and look to see how much ram is being used and you will be amazed :) My sister only has 512Mb yet its useing over 600MB which means its working on vitrual ram just to work.

SC7

1 Gig of ram in the last two years has gone from a good idea to stay ahead, to almost neccisary. You'll need it if you plan to go to Vista. Even still, Xp will perform way better, as NT was utilized to use RAM higher than 512, unlike 9x based kernels. So yes, go to the 1 gig. I'm goin from 768 to 1 gig myself, I'm ordering some RAM tonight.

fade2green514

ChrisDVD said:
I use lots of Abode pages (for homeschool) and they are quite 'delicate'. sometime the whole thing will mess up, so i had to re-open them,. lpus, sometime with my school, i have about 6-7 pages open, so you guys think i should go from 512 MB to a gig?

Chris
YES. lol
you could have a pentium 3 at 1.2ghz...
but as long as the system has enough memory, it makes it usable..
i guess my point is more memory (RAM that is...) makes a system last longer.

ChrisDVD

nice! i better start working this summer tho....cause i'm broke :(
But soon i wint!!!! :D haha
i wa slaso thinking o 2gigs, but not sure yet.....see how it is going financialy!

Chris

SC7

ChrisDVD said:
nice! i better start working this summer tho....cause i'm broke :(
But soon i wint!!!! :D haha
i wa slaso thinking o 2gigs, but not sure yet.....see how it is going financialy!

Chris
I only see 2 gigs as neccisary for extreme gamers and professional media editors (Photoshop, Premier), for most of us users, I don't thin 2 gigs offers really any noticable increase in performance at all.

ChrisDVD

o, well, i tihnk this is what i will do..... add a 512 MB stick in one slot, thus leaving one empty..in a few years, like 3 maybe, i will by a whole gig stick, and add. By that time we will need 2 :D :p
Chris

SC7

ChrisDVD said:
o, well, i tihnk this is what i will do..... add a 512 MB stick in one slot, thus leaving one empty..in a few years, like 3 maybe, i will by a whole gig stick, and add. By that time we will need 2 :D :p
Chris
3 years from now won't you have a new machine, obsoleting the DDR in your current rig?

Geoff

VIP Member
terpsjohn said:
how much does a 512MB upgrade usually cost, and where's a good place to get it?
about $30-$35, depending on the speed and where you get it.

Newegg is the best place i think to get memory, you can get a stick of DDR400 512MB for $33.

fade2green514

SC7 said:
I only see 2 gigs as neccisary for extreme gamers and professional media editors (Photoshop, Premier), for most of us users, I don't thin 2 gigs offers really any noticable increase in performance at all.
this is true as of the present...
2gb is only really utilized if you have a real lot of applications opened...
but it'll still last a LOT longer
1gb is fine though :)
2gb isn't necessary, but who needs it to be necessary?? lol

btw yea its pretty cheap nowadays... payed $200 for my ram though :)
i wanted a ton of super fast stuff though.. plus it normally goes for $280

ChrisDVD

yeah, i go on my gramps' computer sometime (Acer sapire soething) it has a 256 MB RAM. i get nutss!!!!! it is so slooow! i can't barely breath. When i get back home i jsut have to cuddle my HP (512 RAM) (L)

256 still works, but they hardly sell PCs with it anymore...:D
but don't you guys tihnk that in 3 years we will need 2 gigs?

Chris

SC7

ChrisDVD said:
yeah, i go on my gramps' computer sometime (Acer sapire soething) it has a 256 MB RAM. i get nutss!!!!! it is so slooow! i can't barely breath. When i get back home i jsut have to cuddle my HP (512 RAM) (L)

256 still works, but they hardly sell PCs with it anymore...:D
but don't you guys tihnk that in 3 years we will need 2 gigs?

Chris
I think in 3 years, 2 gigs will become the mid range offering, not the neccesity. And yes, 256 is so slow that it sometimes causes the system to lock up.

ChrisDVD

but dont you think when they had the 32 MB they thought that was pretty good? :p and look now, 32 is not enough!

Chris

Arm_Pit3

SC7 said:
I think in 3 years, 2 gigs will become the mid range offering, not the neccesity. And yes, 256 is so slow that it sometimes causes the system to lock up.

256 is not to slow and to cause your system to lock up if you are doing normal things, and you dont have a bunch of crap installed on your comptuer. A clean install of windows with notheing else will ussaly get you around 98MB of memory usage. This is with windows XP which i asusme is what you wewre refering too.

ChrisDVD

well, what we are saying is that an 256 is a bit slow nowdays, it will be ok ofr normal stuff, but not too many people do normal stuff :p lol

Chris