6.0 GB of ram installed (2.99 GB usable)

Bucephalus

Hi
I'm running windows 7 and I right-clicked on my computer then selected properties to check the computer specs and it says that I have 6.0 GB installed RAM but only 2.99 GB is usable.

I have an Intel Core i7 CPU and I can't remember what motherboard I have except that it's an MSI. I built this computer, but I have a feeling that I have put the memory in wrong.

Does anyone have any idea why Windows is saying only half my ram is usable?

regards
Dave

Aastii

VIP Member
I guess you are running win7 32 bit (x86).

Go to start menu and right click computer and click properties.

something like this will show up

64bit.png

where it says system type, does it by any chance say 32 bit?

If so, 32 bit operating systems can't usually utilise 4GB of memory, it is usually 3.5GB or less, but it does vary. That would explain why

Bucephalus

Yeah. you're right, it is 32 bit. Thanks.
I bougth the 32 bit because I wasn't sure if my printer and some apps I have would run on that 64 bit. I am starting to use photoshop and autocad though and I play this game called dragonage also. I'm sure this game at least must challenge this 3GB ceiling.
Do you think it's worth upgrading to 64 bit? I can always go back if something doesn't work with it now that I have 32 bit windows 7.

David

Aastii

VIP Member
everything on 32 bit usually works on 64 bit.

As you can see from the screenshot, which is from my computer, it is 64 bit with 4GB of memory and every game I have ever tried works on it, photoshop works on it, there are drivers for everything, be it dedicated 64 bit servers or 32 bit ones that work fine with 64 bit.

Because 4GB+ is just about standard for systems now just about everything works with 64 bit.

It also unlocks the 64 bit architechture of your CPU, which will make it perform faster than a 32 bit OS will., so yes, deffinately upgrade I would say

adnanpatka

I have Windows 7 64bit with 4GB Installed
when I right click My computer > Properties it shows up

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.99 GB usable)
System type: 64bit OS

BIOS shows 4GB memory.
Laptop: Toshiba A100-338

Any suggestions?

linkin

VIP Member
if you have gone into msconfig and set maxmem to 4gb it will cause this to happen. go into msconfig and uncheck the maxmem option, save and restart.

linkin

VIP Member
explain in english pls

Start > type "msconfig" and hit enter. go to the boot tab, click advanced options. there well be a tickbox and it says "maxmem" next do it. if it is checked, and set to 4gb, it will cause this issue. the solution is to un-check the "maxmem" option, hit apply, and reboot.

;)

Okedokey

now i understand how you have 5000+ posts in less than a year lol :)

great pc btw, when you getting Win 7 64 bit? Considering SSD for that machine - the two would be potent on that platform :)

Bodaggit23

now i understand how you have 5000+ posts in less than a year lol :)

great pc btw, when you getting Win 7 64 bit? Considering SSD for that machine - the two would be potent on that platform :)

Yes, a bit of a turrets spammer am I.

Thanks, and I haven't the need to switch yet to 7. Everything is peachy on Vista x64.

As for SSD, I'm planning 3 of these in RAID 5 within the month or so:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB $54.99

I can't really justify an SSD yet, unless you can find me one that will perform better than these in RAID 5 for the same price. :D