6 GB/s HHD on 3 GB/s RAID controller

BlueDevil77

Hey,
Wondering what kind of performance difference I'd see in a RAID 0 set up using

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

over

2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

on this Mobo

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

The CASHE is clearly better. I'm more so wondering if the 6 GB/s would be pointless on that Mobo. I'm sure I know the answer, but I'd rather confirm with someone who knows wtf they're talking about.

Worth it to buy a SATA III controller for those HDD?

linkin

VIP Member
6gbps is backwards compatible with 3bgps, AFAIK no traditional HDD even in raid can saturate a sata3 interface.

Aastii

VIP Member
6gbps is backwards compatible with 3bgps, AFAIK no traditional HDD even in raid can saturate a sata3 interface.

you are right, no hard drive will get close to 3Gb/s (375MB/s), even several in RAID0.

The caviar black 1TB has more cache as they are larger drives, double the capacity of the Samsung drives, and are quicker than the 500GB Samsung F3 is. Noticably so, no, but it is. If I had to pick, I would take the WD drives, but not for the speed, but for capacity.

However, if I was in your position, as you put 2 x WD caviar black as an option, at ~$90 a drive, but you also put 2 x 500GB F3 as an option, I assume 1 TB of storage would be enough. Because of that, I would get a single 1TB WD Caviar black, and put in an extra $50, if you can get that into budget, for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

The Caviar black would be for storage, the SSD would be for your operating systems and frequently used programs/games, as they decrease boot and load times drastically

Cameldude

you will really need the 10000RPM to sort of have an affect along with 6gb, i have below and it works prety well. assuming 150MB/s is good. between my Raptor and my other hard drives. i get a burst to around 350 for a few seconds, and since i usually transfer small files like 2-3 GB the transfer takes VERY little time.
But i would agree with Aastii on all his point. especially the last one about SSD, it will be good!!!