60 Hrz monitor. Crap?

LambentTyto

I use the computer, a lot. Practically all day, really. My work is on the computer, and then when I'm not working I like to play games or watch movies, etc.

But my eyes hurt, all the time!

Now I know this isn't a medical forum, but I wonder, since this is a computer forum, if any of you guys might know something about this.

I read that for a monitor to produce less strain on the eyes, it needs to be 75 hrz minimum. Every monitor I have ever owned has always been between 59-60 hrz.

Is it true? Monitors with more hrz are less straining on the eyes?

Thanks

PCunicorn

The higher the hertz, the smoother the motion will be with games. This is because, the higher the hertz, the higher the FPS can go.

However, with most programs and movies (movies are 28 FPS), a higher hertz monitor won't make a difference, therefore I highly doubt the hertz is what's putting the strain on your eyes.

beers

Staff member
This was generally an argument when using CRT. Some people have sensitivity to lower refresh rates like 60 Hz as the screen was literally being re-beamed 60 times per second.

LCD are a bit different as they aren't pulsing/blinking in the same fashion and rather have each pixel change to the intended output without having to effectively cycle on and off.

Do you get the same behavior when watching TV or similar?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had this issue with my old 60Hz monitor,I got some "Gunnar" glasses and they did help but are expensive.

http://shop.gunnars.com/gaming-eyewear/l/200

Now i have my 120hz monitor though i dont have any problem,don't even need to use the Gunnars anymore.

Moved thread to "Video Cards and Monitors " :)

LambentTyto

I had this issue with my old 60Hz monitor,I got some "Gunnar" glasses and they did help but are expensive.

http://shop.gunnars.com/gaming-eyewear/l/200

Now i have my 120hz monitor though i dont have any problem,don't even need to use the Gunnars anymore.

Moved thread to "Video Cards and Monitors " :)

Thanks for the post!

Was your "old 60 hrz monitor" and LCD?

When you got your Gunnars, how well did they help? What was the extent of the stress you were dealing with before you got them?

I'd look into getting a new monitor, but I do all my writing and reading on a laptop. If I can spend less and not have to get a whole new laptop, then that would probably be better.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the post!

Was your "old 60 hrz monitor" and LCD?

When you got your Gunnars, how well did they help? What was the extent of the stress you were dealing with before you got them?

I'd look into getting a new monitor, but I do all my writing and reading on a laptop. If I can spend less and not have to get a whole new laptop, then that would probably be better.

1680x1050 res @ 60Hz iirc,As for the gunnars...they seemed to have stopped making my eyes go dry and also prevented my from getting headache but back in those days i did use the PC A LOT!...And of course we are all different so because what worked for me doesn't really mean it would work for you...gunnars have mixed reviews.

Might i suggest you give "Flux" a try though.
https://justgetflux.com/