$600 to spend on laptop

tremmor

from what ive seen, its been Gateway is junk.
Also look at a Asus. Shop. take your time.

Microtomer

Are you planning on gaming? Because for around that price (650ish) with no dedicated graphics you can get get an 2nd gen i5 from lenovo. Just useful as a scale of what your money can get you.

Perkomate

if you're playing games, don't get the HP. The fans are generally rubbish, and the laptops overheat like there's no tomorrow.

spynoodle

No HP. No Gateway.

I found this study a few weeks ago: http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

If you scroll down a few pages, there's a graph showing the reliability of various laptop brands. When it comes to what seem like "good" brands, you've got Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Apple, and Dell, and for bad brands, you've got Lenovo, Gateway, Acer (which is the same as Gateway), and, surprisingly at the bottom of the list, HP. I was kinda disappointed when I saw it, because of the fact that HPs been around for a LONG while. Well, I guess they've kinda lost it, selling too many cheap laptops to Wal-Mart. Of course, their really cheap laptops could have skewed the survey a bit. I don't really have respect for a company that has the stupidity to sell a laptop that they know will die in a few years, though.

So yeah, Gateway and HP are godawful now. Go figure.

Last edited:

Twinbird24

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I would have probably chosen the Toshiba over the HP, but since I found that gateway it's probably what I'm going to get (there are 2 gateway laptops in the family already and they are really good). I won't be using it for gaming, it will mostly be used for web browsing and using MS Office a lot for school and streaming videos to my TV.

spynoodle

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I would have probably chosen the Toshiba over the HP, but since I found that gateway it's probably what I'm going to get (there are 2 gateway laptops in the family already and they are really good). I won't be using it for gaming, it will mostly be used for web browsing and using MS Office a lot for school and streaming videos to my TV.
Just saying, though: if you want a laptop that will last a good 6 or 7 years, you should probably go with the Toshiba.

cctech

omar

well both toshiba and hp pavillion comes from the same manufacture, but from my experience hp has a heat problem due to the design a the cooling system at the bottom, so to me the toshiba is much better were thats concern its at the side. better cooling better pc

tylerh102

My budget was half as much as yours, as I only needed one for basic use (I have a $10k Alienware). I did some shopping and found that the best thing I could get for that was this refurbished Asus.

If I were you I would go refurbished/recertified. They can end up being HALF the price, and usually still run just as well. Dell seems to be very good about refurbishing laptops.

Asus is a good brand. Long life, good bang for your buck, and they make all around good products.

As to your question about the HP vs. Toshiba...

TOSHIBA. I'm pretty sure someone commented about Toshiba lasting a good 6+ years, and they are absolutely right.

Here is the cheap one I bought, by the way:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230061

spynoodle

My budget was half as much as yours, as I only needed one for basic use (I have a $10k Alienware). I did some shopping and found that the best thing I could get for that was this refurbished Asus.

If I were you I would go refurbished/recertified. They can end up being HALF the price, and usually still run just as well. Dell seems to be very good about refurbishing laptops.

Asus is a good brand. Long life, good bang for your buck, and they make all around good products.

As to your question about the HP vs. Toshiba...

TOSHIBA. I'm pretty sure someone commented about Toshiba lasting a good 6+ years, and they are absolutely right.

Here is the cheap one I bought, by the way:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230061
+1 completely.

Twinbird24

Thanks for all the input. I would have definitely chosen the Toshiba (If I didn't find that Gateway laptop), I've asked other people as well and they told me Toshiba (over the HP). I know people say Gateway is crap, but I'm typing this message on a 5 year old Gateway laptop (that has even been dropped once) and it's still running really well.