$600 to spend on laptop

spynoodle

Thanks for all the input. I would have definitely chosen the Toshiba (If I didn't find that Gateway laptop), I've asked other people as well and they told me Toshiba (over the HP). I know people say Gateway is crap, but I'm typing this message on a 5 year old Gateway laptop (that has even been dropped once) and it's still running really well.

Well, Gateway hasn't always been bad. They used to be quite good, in fact, and so was HP. 5 years ago, Gateway was probably one of the more reliable brands, HP was starting to go downhill, and Dell was starting on a downward reliability spiral that they are only just recovering from. Now, however, Gateway is crap, HP is selling off their PC sector, Dell is as reliable as ever, and Toshiba is one of the best brands around. Brands fluctuate greatly, which is why I try to build as many of my own computers as possible. One of my cases is actually an old Gateway case from around ten years ago, and it's a really nice case. The computer it came from was nice, too. I probably couldn't say the same for a newer Gateway, though.

Tl;Dr - you can never trust a computer brand from purchases >5 years back. You never know how they'll change. ;)

spynoodle

Well, like I said in my last post, refurbished is the way to go. I just got this delivered today. I payed $300 for a $500 laptop. I've seen and used this laptop brand new, I CANNOT tell the difference. It's in perfect working condition.

I just really like this Asus for some reason :p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230061

Asus rocks. So far, they've consistently remained awesome. Asus doesn't really seem to make much of anything that could be considered crappy, and I like that about them.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Here is the reality of it is, if you maintane your computer by a good security scan, do your disc clean up and disc defrag at least once month and make sure you never exceed 75% on your Hard drive your computer will go a long way.

Plus as always I recommend you download a copy of the version of Windows it has and do a fresh install and only install the drivers. Gets rid of bloat ware and just make sure you have a Windows product key on the bottom of your computer and it will not cost you a thing.

1shado1

Just if anyone is wondering, I bought this laptop. It was on sale and already had a good price, and it has really nice specs. It's really fast and runs everything fine.

So you ask everybody's advice, the majority say to avoid HP. Then you buy an HP. So what was the point in asking for advice?:confused:

Perkomate

oh lawd, a HP. And so begins your descent into the black circle of hell, otherwise known as HP's customer service

Twinbird24

I asked everyone's advice because at first I was choosing between two laptops that were similar and didn't quite know which one to choose - I would have chosen the Toshiba like everyone said - but when I find a laptop that is more than $100 cheaper and has better specs then I'm just going to have to chose that one - I appreciate all the responses, however. This HP laptop is really good especially for the price I got it at and I don't think I'm going to have any problems with it - if there are any problems I can fix them myself.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So you ask everybody's advice, the majority say to avoid HP. Then you buy an HP. So what was the point in asking for advice?:confused:

You see that sometimes where people start a huge thread on opinion and then they go against the recommendation.

Twinbird24

Okay, well I'm very happy with my HP and I'm sure it will last through university and even past that. I have a 5 year old Gateway that is still in great shape, I bought a Gateway last year that is amazing, my friend bought a Gateway last year and is very happy with it. My other friend has an HP laptop that is really fast, a few years old, and still in very good shape. I don't know if you guys even own the brand of laptop that you say is "shit" or if you just google "best/ worst laptop brand" and then post here. I don't shop solely based on brand but based on the individual build/ specs of the laptop. The HP laptop I bought had 5 star reviews, great specs, and great price. If my apparently "crappy" HP laptop somehow manages to break I will fix it. Just because a few people managed to break their own HP laptop doesn't mean every HP laptop sucks. Also, I started this thread so you guys could compare the two laptops I found or suggest one of lower price and better specs, and I would have chosen the Toshiba like you guys suggested but I found a laptop of lower price and better specs with good reviews and then you guys just continue to suggest to pay more for a laptop with worse specs just because it's a Toshiba.

1shado1

Okay, well I'm very happy with my HP and I'm sure it will last through university and even past that. I have a 5 year old Gateway that is still in great shape, I bought a Gateway last year that is amazing, my friend bought a Gateway last year and is very happy with it. My other friend has an HP laptop that is really fast, a few years old, and still in very good shape. I don't know if you guys even own the brand of laptop that you say is "shit" or if you just google "best/ worst laptop brand" and then post here. I don't shop solely based on brand but based on the individual build/ specs of the laptop. The HP laptop I bought had 5 star reviews, great specs, and great price. If my apparently "crappy" HP laptop somehow manages to break I will fix it. Just because a few people managed to break their own HP laptop doesn't mean every HP laptop sucks. Also, I started this thread so you guys could compare the two laptops I found or suggest one of lower price and better specs, and I would have chosen the Toshiba like you guys suggested but I found a laptop of lower price and better specs with good reviews and then you guys just continue to suggest to pay more for a laptop with worse specs just because it's a Toshiba.

You may very well have good luck with your HP, or any other brand of laptop you might have decided to purchase. But your few examples of folks that are happy with this or that brand is hardly a statistically representative sample. Laptop track records over the last few years have shown that Toshibas in general have been more reliable than HP.

Wasn't your 1 year old Gateway good enough for college? Just curious. :D

raza

what about dell 5110 i want to buy dell brand what expert opinion or please guide me what model best in dell in i3

Perkomate

inspiron 15r IMO
good price/performance, and they're pretty tough. I sprayed milk all over one and it still worked fine.

RichardT

I've got the Toshiba Satellite L755 (typing on it as we speak), and is completely blown away by it. For the price it does an exceptional job! HP is great, but I will definitely buy the Toshiba over and over again if I had to choose.

Hope this helps!
R