64 bit gaming PC (legacy question)

ryf

Who has a new pentium D or better pc with the new 64 bit XP?

I'm new to site old to computers, and am seriously wanting to try this new technology....maybe....
I am looking for some peoples experiences on backwards compatibilty with games like battlefield vietnam/ battlefield 2, far cry, GTA series....

I remember when we went from 16 to 32 bit and some things did and some didnt work... anyone tasted this new technology and tried it with some "last years" games titles?

ryf

hmmm, I'm really looking for someone who's tried it. I do alot of video work, so the 64 bit sounds like something I'd be into, I also like playing alot of games, so I don't want to not be able to, is there alot of performance loss using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system?

Geoff

VIP Member
I've used XP Pro x64 and the regular XP Pro. Performance wise, I don't notice a difference, but I only used it for general tasks and gaming. High end video, audio, photo, and other rendering/editing app may utilize it more.

There are alot of downsides to XP Pro x64, the main thing being that there are tons of driver and app problems, meaning that alot of them wont work on XP Pro x64, and even fewer that actually take advantage of it.

If you want my opinion, I would stay away from the XP Pro x64, and wait until Vista before buying a 64 Bit OS.

ryf

Any thoughts on which one of these will be "better" for mixed use and gaming

ASRock CONROE945PL-GLAN Core 2 Duo/ 945PL/ DDR2/ A&GbE/ ATX
CPU: E6300 Core 2 Duo
hd: 160SATA
memory2: T667UB1G_M
memory: T667UB1G_M

OR

ASRock 775DUAL-880PRO LGA775/PT880Pro/DDR1+DDR2/PCI-Express
CPU: Intel Pentium D 940 Dual Core 3.2GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
hd: 160SATA
memory2: T667UB1G_M
memory: T667UB1G_M

Any suggestions for a good Mid level ($100-150) graphics card??

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't buy the 775Dual unless you already have DDR and an AGP card, your much better off going with a full PCI-E x16 slotted motherboard.

ryf

noted,
I'll shop around on that, is core 2 duo better than the pentium d, I'm trying to shop up for vista, and a little more money to keep me from chasing upgrades for a little longer down the road is OK by me

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
noted,
I'll shop around on that, is core 2 duo better than the pentium d, I'm trying to shop up for vista, and a little more money to keep me from chasing upgrades for a little longer down the road is OK by me

Yes, c2d is much better than pentium D. Though if you do alot of video editing, I would go for something a bit better than the E6300, as that is currently the cheapest C2D available.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Don't expect to have anything but problems unless the software you use is specifically for 64bit processors. I can't see you getting any performace increase with 64bit unless the software is actually made to use it...

Rather than trying to make a 64bit machine, just get some high-end video editing equipment.

ryf

I was under the impression the 32 bit XP would work fine until a better OS was developed... is this not the consensus?

I don't think the minimal increase in processor is going to justify the jump in price. I'm doing the math on the best I can do with $850ish (w/ all the not listed trimmings like OS, case, PS, and etc) the $50+ dollar increase didn't justify the cost increase to be comparable to what I could afford in the Pentium D, if the Core 2 is miles ahead better, than it should still beat the PD 940, I would think.

Geoff

VIP Member
There really is no reason why XP 32 will be fine for you, x64 is full of problems right now.

And the Core 2 Duo is far better then the Pentium D, I would get it if you can afford it.

ryf

Omega are u into gaming? I see you run almost the same rig I'm looking at (I'm adding a gig, but that won't depreciate the performance)

if so what games r u playing and how is it handling them?