64 bit or 32 bit? Dual core? What do i want?

kenascher

I'm going to be buying a new computer with the free vista upgrade..I want to know should I go 64 bit dual core, 64 bit single core, or 32 bit dual core? It will be used for some gaming and visual studio mostly.

Thanks

PC eye

banned
All dual core model cpus are 64bit. There is no such thing as a 32bit dual core cpu. The newer line of dual core cpus along with single core model have 64bit support for XP 64bit or the 64bit versions of Vista that will be available as well as the 32bit. A 64bit cpu can run with either installed.

goosy22

if you buy it right now... go for Intel's Core 2 Duo line of CPU's... they are dual core and 64bit... plus they pretty much kill AMD in every benchmark, although i wouldn't use benchmarks as a set-in-stone way of comparing CPU's, it's a good start...

Geoff

VIP Member

Jet

VIP Member
You want either a 64bit Dual core or a 64bit Single core. I would strongly recommend getting a 64bit Dual core, if at all possible, and buying it doesn't compromise on any other components.

goosy22

[-0MEGA-];496246 said:
It doesnt matter if it "secretly" supports 64-Bit. The fact is, you can not utilize the 64-Bit of the Core Duo. I used to have one, and I know for a fact that 64-Bit OS's wouldn't install. :)

i'd give the win to Geoff on this one... i heard many complaints about Core Duo's inability to use it's "64 bit" capabilities to the fullest...