64 bit or 32 bit processor?

picky

Hi there, new to the forum.

I am looking to buy a sony vaio laptop, some of the models have a 64 bit processor, and some have 32 bit. Is it worth paying a bit extra for a 64 bit processor, when alot of software around at the moment is still only 32 bit?

Thanks,

Picky

Geoff

VIP Member
Where are you looking that costs more for a 64 bit processor? The Core 2 Duo, and Athlon X2/Turion are all 64 bit.

nsbgerard

If you go 64Bit, at the moment you'll be running into compatibility issues all but too often, especially with hardware.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you go 64Bit, at the moment you'll be running into compatibility issues all but too often, especially with hardware.

You will not run into any compatibility issues using a 64 bit CPU.

Using a 64 bit OS may cause a few issues for you, but most if not all OS's pre-loaded on laptops and desktop are all 32 bit, so it wont matter.

picky

thanks everyone for your replies,

If I have 64 bit processor, but running 32 bit OS then surely the processor is only working on 32 bits at a time, so I gain no advantage over a normal 32 bit processor?

Picky

Geoff

VIP Member
thanks everyone for your replies,

If I have 64 bit processor, but running 32 bit OS then surely the processor is only working on 32 bits at a time, so I gain no advantage over a normal 32 bit processor?

Picky
Nope, except the ability to upgrade to a 64 bit OS later on.

tobywuk

At the moment, the majoraty of software is only 32 bit anyway. There are 64bit vershions of software but they have compatabilaty problems. If you run a 32bit program on a 64bit PCU you are not going to notice any preforance increase. Due to these reasons you may just got for 32bit...

But... Apple and microsoft have all announced that they are slowly going to convert over to 64bit and there next operating systems will hopefully be in this format. this means you may want to go with a 64bit cpu just to make sure your laptop is futureproof

picky

thanks for all your replies, I think I will go with a 32 bit processor, as it looks like 64 bit is unlikely to be much of an advantage for a while yet... by which time I will be better off buying a brand new 64 bit one instead of trying to use one that is a couple of years old.

Picky

Geoff

VIP Member
thanks for all your replies, I think I will go with a 32 bit processor, as it looks like 64 bit is unlikely to be much of an advantage for a while yet... by which time I will be better off buying a brand new 64 bit one instead of trying to use one that is a couple of years old.

Picky
I still dont get what you mean, because the majority of laptops have 64 bit processors, the only ones that dont are the Sempron's, Pentium M's, and original Core Duo's.