64 bit system

bobble14988

wondering if someone could tell me what a 64bit system is. my mate tried to explain to me but he was talking about clock speeds and i didnt really understand lol...anyone want to help, be appreciated

TheChef

A 64-bti system simply has a 64-bit processor, which is double what semi-old processors had (32-bit). Currently AMD Athlon 64, Intels EM64T line, and Apples G% are the only mainstream 64- bit processors on the market. They can run 64-bit programs as well as 32 and 16 bit. 32-bit processors cannot run 64-bit.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
a 64-bti system simply has a 64-bit processor, which is double what semi-old processors had (32-bit). currently AMD Athlon 64, intels em64t line, and apples g% are the only mainstream 64- bit processors on the market. they can run 64-bit programs as well as 32 and 16 bit. 32-bit processors cannot run 64-bit.
didnt look at thw wiki link too deep but in the context of modern day computing, a 64bit processor means that the communication links, both internal and external (aDDRess and data bus) are 64bits wide. the distinction that both internal and external links need to be 64bits wide is iimportant because many older processors (say post-Pentiumii generation) had 64bit internal data paths and 32bit external ones

CPU 101.