64 bit vista Portable hard drive...

I am running 64bit vista. I am plaining to buy a portable hard drive. One to back up all my files. I want a portable HD bigger than 250. but i have heard that there are some issues with 64 bit and portable hard drives. Im trying to find something around 80 dollars. Anny suggestions? Thanks...:D

bomberboysk

I am running 64bit vista. I am plaining to buy a portable hard drive. One to back up all my files. I want a portable HD bigger than 250. but i have heard that there are some issues with 64 bit and portable hard drives. Im trying to find something around 80 dollars. Anny suggestions? Thanks...:D
USB or esata? Pretty much any external hard drive should work in vista x64. Do you want it plugged into mains or to be usb powered?

Bodaggit23

I would like Usb .. im not sure what esata is, could you inform me?

An eSATA connection is essentially the same as connecting the drive straight to the motherboard.

So, the drive data transfer rate would be the same as an internal SATA drive, versus the "turd-like" transfer rate of a USB drive.

If you're doing backups, eSATA would be the way to go as it would take much, much less time to transfer the data.

You'd basically just need one of these, unless your board has an eSATA build into the I/O panel.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186052

Last edited: