64 Bit Win and IE

I've loaded a 64 bit Win 7 on my machine. Should I have a 64 bit Internet Explorer, or does it matter? How do I tell which version I have (I'm using IE 8).

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if you have x64 bit 7 you should already have both 32 bit and x64 bit versions of IE on there....just type in "Internet explorer " in the search bar and both should be there.

I think by default though the 32 bit is used the most.

Why not try Firefox? See i heard there were codec problems for clips online using X64 bit version of IE8.

I see the 64 bit in the start menu. Why would i even want to run the 32 bit? I had to download JAVA and it wouldn't take the 64 bit, probably because I didn't have the latter one open. My inclination is to just use the 64 bit.

Any suggestions?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The reason they make the 32 bit default, alot of Addons/ActiveX/Toolbars Blah Blah Blah controls will not work for the 64 bit. There is two different JAVA download for the 32 and 64 bit.

3uL

Why all of you not even mention adobe flash, which is very important in the website today? For the time being, just use 32bit browser. 64bit browser still suck though because of lack of 64bit add-on support.

Geoff

VIP Member
I would not default to the 64 bit version, there are quite a few compatibility issues with websites when using it.