64bit board with pci/e?

Bigshow1030

What is the best board out there right now that will except a 64bit socket a and also one that excepts pci express? :confused:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
probably an nForce4 variant. I don't know how well VIA/SiS are doing with their PCIe stuff, I know its out (VIAs at least) but not if its any good

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or a K8T890 variant.... weren't you already planning on getting a NF4SLI anyways?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldnt it be better off scaling the CPU cuz between NF3U and NF4U ... the Athlon64-2800 will be the bottleneck

Bigshow1030

Lost me

Praetor I was with you until you said about scaling.....honestly have no idea what it is that you are talking about.....explain it if you will

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What I meant was there's little point in going through the added expense of NF4+PCIe when the entire configuration is gonna be limited by a Athlon64-2800 (that is what you were planning if i recall correctly?). The performance jump from NF3+AGP to NF4+PCIe (nonSLI) is, for the most part, negligible and especially so considering the CPU will be the bottleneck rather than the mobo/chipset.

Now looking at your motherboard,
dfi lanparty nt350
I'm going to assume thats the LanParty NF250 and if I'm correct about the Athlon64-2800, a socket754 board (well it should be), which would mean that a NF3U/NF4anything would be out of the question as those are Socket939 parts :)

So when i said about "sclaing the CPU", I meant, if you're gonna get a NF3U/NF4anything board, make sure that the CPU isnt the bottleneck :)

Bigshow1030

this is it

DFI "LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL Praetor you are right about the cpu and stuff! By the way this is a good board isn't it? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Its a good board ... but like i said, no point considering the NF3U/NF4anything unless you step up to the Socket939 level. :)

Bigshow1030

thanks

sometimes I think you sleep with a computer manual..........Seems like you have the answer for almost anything

Bigshow1030

?

This may sound very dumb but what do you mean by bottleneck......I know what one looks like however, I don;t exactly know what the term is being used for? :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Bottlenecking is the practise of coupling something really good with something not so good. For instance, building a FX53 system and putting a 9600XT in it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well if i recall the rest of his proposed specs, he's got a A64-2800, the Lanparty 250 and $100 for a videocard .... no point in even considering that mobo purely from a financial position as well as just feasibility (of course you can get that mobo + 6200 but that would be some serious bottlenecking hehe)

The Astroman

Is the ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE a good board? My dream mobo (can anyone tell me if it exists, a non server board): 64-bit proc, DDR2 RAM, Raid 0,1,5 , 4 SATA, SLI.

Rambo

ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE

Well, I think it is one of the best motherboards around of the Sli series at the moment. Read some reviews about it, you'll hear many good comments about it. I haven't read on before these couple of posts, so I'm not sure whether you want 939 or 754. Although, the A8N-Sli is 939, so I assume that's what your heading for.

Gigabyte are also very good (These are just the nForce4/u motherboards).

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLi nForce4 SLi (That's a good motherboard if you want Sli and PCI-Express).

On a cheaper version, you could try the Gigabyte K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra (Practically the same as above although it doesn't support Sli).

And, a good solution for a cheap motherboard from Gigabyte would be the Gigabyte K8NF-9 nForce4.

You can check them all out on here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Gigabyte_Socket_939.html

For all the motherboards go here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_Motherboards_68.html

Rambo.

:)