64bit Ubuntu on Gigabyte motherboard

Greg1991

Does anyone have a Gigabyte motherboard, and could install Ubuntu in it? I've been having problems for a while and the Ubuntu forums haven't been much help.

beers

Staff member
You don't really install an OS into a motherboard.

It should work on any platform.

Greg1991

You don't really install an OS into a motherboard.

It should work on any platform.
My bad... And it doesn't. Officially it is not supported. Some people had problems with IOMMU and others with with ACPI. I've tried messing with those settings and no luck so far.

Greg1991

It would help to know what specific board you're using.
Yes! Sorry. This is my PC:

CPU: AMD - FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-990FX-Gaming ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT - Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install and what exactly is occuring? I've had a few versions installed on at least two Gigabyte boards throughout the years with no problems. Only actual boards that didn't want to play nice with it were some older ECS ones. I do know first-hand that some GPU cards can be very quirky with it during installation.

Greg1991

What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install and what exactly is occuring? I've had a few versions installed on at least two Gigabyte boards throughout the years with no problems. Only actual boards that didn't want to play nice with it were some older ECS ones. I do know first-hand that some GPU cards can be very quirky with it during installation.

It's any 16 or 17 version. I installed 14.04.5 with no problems. What happens is it freezes completely when it gets to the install part. After you choose all your settings.

I'm always speaking of 64 bit versions. The 32 bit ones work just fine. Linux Mint 64 bit also works perfectly. It's only Ubuntu.

Edit: Linux Mint does not work perfectly. I have to enable IOMMU for it to work.

Last edited:

Jamie K Jukes

I have a gigabyte motherboard from 2002 running an AMD Athlon XP processor, definitely 32 Bit, but it all depends on your processor and how much RAM your Motherboard, CPU can handle.

Generally I'd stick around the 1GB mark minimum for a Linux 32 bit OS, preferably more.

I don't know if it is of any help but I had a fault with Hard drives freezing on it but a BIOS Update sure cleaned that up.

Greg1991

I have a gigabyte motherboard from 2002 running an AMD Athlon XP processor, definitely 32 Bit, but it all depends on your processor and how much RAM your Motherboard, CPU can handle.

Generally I'd stick around the 1GB mark minimum for a Linux 32 bit OS, preferably more.

I don't know if it is of any help but I had a fault with Hard drives freezing on it but a BIOS Update sure cleaned that up.
I have the latest BIOS, and tried 2 different drives. Every Linux distro does the same, except for Mint. I tried Fedora, Debian, almost every Ubuntu flavour, Elementary OS. No 64bit can work properly. BSD distros are a different story. I can install FreeBSD with no BIOS modifications, although I have trouble setting up the network on FreeBSD. Never works properly, so downloading a Desktop environment is a pain. I finally just gave up and went back to Windows 10.

Thanks for the response.