64GB Flash Drive $18.99 - Too good to be true???

New Orleans PC

Well, I found this deal on eBay today and with all the fake memory coming from that side of the world, I naturally thought it was too good to be true. New K / DT200/64GB/2.0 USB Flash Drive NEW

Then I noticed they sold 71 (He's selling about 2 every hour) of them and still has a feedback score of 99%. I doubt this seller would jeopardize his red star by selling fake memory unless he's going out with a bang or the drives are hot.

I know flash memory is getting cheaper but 64GB for $18.99??? Someone shed some light on this.

PohTayToez

Sorry, but it is absolutely too good to be true. Buying any sort of flash memory off of eBay is risky, even if it looks exactly like the real thing. What happens is, often times manufactures will work after hours and manufacture flash memory using faulty materials that were rejected during normal production, which will then be sold on the street or online. What you get is a product that looks perfectly legitimate, and was even manufactured in the same factory, but has a much, much higher failure rate (often nearly 100%). My experience with this sort of thing is that it will plug in and be detected by your computer just fine, and you will have no problems loading files onto them, but when you try pulling files back off is when you start encountering all sorts of problems.

Last edited:

tremmor

your right. i watched the news a few weeks ago. talking about gig flash drives.
Even they said cheap is very capable of destroying a usb port.