6800gt Hot Hot Hot

vw-Jeff

Hey, a friend of mine bought this card used from another friend of ours. He warned us that it runs hot, but using ntune it's reading it at 150c when under load. My 8800gts is only at around 60c. Is this normal for this card? Should we be worried about frying anything? He doesn't have the best case setup but even still. I can't see 150c being anywhere normal... Also, what would you recommend as a replacement for this. He was looking at the 8600gt. It's only $50 on newegg after rebate.

Gareth

Why not get a new cooling fan. 150C is the maximum operating temperature I believe, are you sure you were looking at the correct column?

Timo

150 degrees is basically impossible because the whole card would just turn to dust and smoke...

Or are the older cards capable of these temperatures (I never was much for old cards, so I don't know much of their "habbits").

Gareth

My old 6600GT card had a max of 149C, the older cards, for some reason, have more of a tolerance to heat I have noticed?

vw-Jeff

Why not get a new cooling fan. 150C is the maximum operating temperature I believe, are you sure you were looking at the correct column?

Yeah, I'm sure. And a nice cooling fan would be almost as much as that card. Might as well spend the extra $20 for an upgrade.

Cleric7x9

if you are talking 150 degrees Celcius i really think its a faulty temp sensor or something, thats over 300 degrees F. go put your video card in the oven at 300 degrees and see what happens to it...

G25r8cer

The 8600gt is a great card! Dont get the cheap one though. Get the xfx 8600gt xxx zalman edition as its the coolest running and fastest running 8600gt. It's $90 on tiger with the mail in rebate, i think.

vw-Jeff

The 8600gt is a great card! Dont get the cheap one though. Get the xfx 8600gt xxx zalman edition as its the coolest running and fastest running 8600gt. It's $90 on tiger with the mail in rebate, i think.

Mind finding me a link sometime? I Found xfx 8600gt xxx but not Zalman edition, and it's only $70.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Seems like it's $99 for the 8600 GT.

Why not fetch another $40-50 for the 9600 GT which preforms ALOT better than the 8600GT.

lovely?

is the card performing ok? the temperature is NOT correct, be assured of that. it is probably far lower at like 40-60C. if it is still running good enough for them then leave it as is.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hey, a friend of mine bought this card used from another friend of ours. He warned us that it runs hot, but using ntune it's reading it at 150c when under load. My 8800gts is only at around 60c. Is this normal for this card? Should we be worried about frying anything? He doesn't have the best case setup but even still. I can't see 150c being anywhere normal... Also, what would you recommend as a replacement for this. He was looking at the 8600gt. It's only $50 on newegg after rebate.

Have you looked at the cards fan after the card was installed to make sure it is spinning?

vw-Jeff

is the card performing ok? the temperature is NOT correct, be assured of that. it is probably far lower at like 40-60C. if it is still running good enough for them then leave it as is.

The card is not performing correctly, He's getting random freezeups, bluescreens, this crazy Fractal looking thing. For a while the computer would crash within 5 minutes of boot up everytime. He seems to be getting lucky now and it'll last a while. And as for the 9600, he is on a tight budget, and doesn't need a great card, just something to play wow on more smoothly than onboard graphics.

py343

heres that link from newegg and its the zalman edition

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150258

Cards depend not only on model, but on the specific manufacturer (XFX, LeadTek, etc...). Some of the cheaper ones (XFX) come with little to no card-specific cooling, while LeadTek almost makes it overkill sometimes. Even then, you can't rely completely on that. Make sure your system has at least one fan blowing air in and one blowing it out. They have to blow in the same general direction to work together, as opposed to against each other (two blowing air in or two blowing air out, on opposite sides).

py343

The card is not performing correctly, He's getting random freezeups, bluescreens, this crazy Fractal looking thing. For a while the computer would crash within 5 minutes of boot up everytime. He seems to be getting lucky now and it'll last a while. And as for the 9600, he is on a tight budget, and doesn't need a great card, just something to play wow on more smoothly than onboard graphics.

Chances are the card might get permanent hardware damage eventually and he'll have to throw it away. Happened to one of my cards, although it was from being VERY old. Some part might melt and then he'll be screwed. What card depends on whether he has AGP or PCIe. The former, the best he can get is GeForce 7950, and it will cost a killing. For PCIe, he can probably get 8800GT at a VERY reasonable price, AND he would have PCIe 2.0 compatibility with that, not to mention DX10 (I think). If low on cash, I guess he could try:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130313
Otherwise:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deo+Cards-_-PNY+Technologies++Inc.-_-14133205

Last edited:

JlCollins005

the xfx cards may be less costly but in my opinion they run better than many others along with higher clock speeds and mem speeds im xfx fanboy i guess u could say

vw-Jeff

Chances are the card might get permanent hardware damage eventually and he'll have to throw it away. Happened to one of my cards, although it was from being VERY old. Some part might melt and then he'll be screwed. What card depends on whether he has AGP or PCIe. The former, the best he can get is GeForce 7950, and it will cost a killing. For PCIe, he can probably get 8800GT at a VERY reasonable price, AND he would have PCIe 2.0 compatibility with that, not to mention DX10 (I think). If low on cash, I guess he could try:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130313
Otherwise:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deo+Cards-_-PNY+Technologies++Inc.-_-14133205
He's got PCI-e. Just wants to stay pretty cheap. I think he'll end up going with the 8600gt. Like I said, All he plays is WoW on it. but he'd like to be able to run bioshock to play thourhg.