680i + 45nm = No?

tuxify

I was reading the reviews on Newegg about the QX9650, and they were saying that the 680i boards wouldn't support it. Is this just for the QZX9650? Or will this be true with all the 45nm? If it's the case I may have to go with the X38...

spanky

First off, there is no such thing as the QZX9650. Secondly, the reviews you were reading are correct. Nvidia's 680i chipset will not support Intel's 45nm cpu line-up. However the P35 chipset supports them wonderfully without the high cost of the new x38 if price is a concern of yours.

oregon

I read somewhere that they will. I think nVidia will release a BIOS update, or at least were planning on it. I don't know if they still are.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
They will support the dual core 45nm with a provided bios update. And from what i have read, the quads and duals are suppose to work on the new 780i... but no one is sure

tuxify

First off, there is no such thing as the QZX9650. Secondly, the reviews you were reading are correct. Nvidia's 680i chipset will not support Intel's 45nm cpu line-up. However the P35 chipset supports them wonderfully without the high cost of the new x38 if price is a concern of yours.

There isn't a QZX, but there is a QX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115034.

The guy who reviewed it said something about a BIOS update for the 680i. Are the 780i's going to come out around January? I'd prefer to stick with the nVidia chipset, but if the 780i is going to be outrageously expensive, I'd rather have a Motherboard that supports the Q9450.