6990 Eyefinity questions

armysgt1

I'm wondering if I get a 6990 will it solve my screen tearing issue on my one monitor. I've researched what causes this and it's just the hardware in my card. I was looking to get a 6950 flex to solve this problem but then I need to buy another waterblock that doesn't match up with the waterblock I have for my 6950 reference. I'm also wondering if a 6990 will run eyefinity at 5760x1080 at good frame rates. If so, I will be selling my reference 6950 with an EK full cover nickel/plexi block. Thanks for any help.

BassAddict

I assume the tearing is from games? If so, try enabling the "vSync" option in the game. The game will match the available FPS to the monitors HZ. That should get rid of the tearing effect.

Edit: However, I am not familiar with multiple monitors using Eyefinity. So, there could very well be more variables that are effecting the tearing. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the vSync option if you did not know.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Theoretically an HD6950 Should be able to handle 2 monitors just fine. Probably 3, maybe not to well at 1080p.

The HD6990 will definitely handle it. It is a multi-core gpu. I would first try BassAddict's suggestion first and try using v-sync (that is, if we are talking about games). Try lowering the resolutions on the monitors, if that solves the problem, then yeah, a new video card would be the way to go to run at the resolution you want.

armysgt1

Sorry guys I've been at work and not able to respond. Yes it is during games but also normal use while eyefinity is enabled. I researched it and the problem lies within the card's hardware itself. I have turned on v-sync in all the games that have it available and it doesn't help. How can i force v-sync if there is no option in ccc? And yeah my 6950 will handle some games in eyefinity at 5760x1080 at 30-45 fps, it just depends. Generally, playing games in eyefinity drops my framerates about 20-30 fps.